Thursday 24 September 2009

Conker duel...

On my way back from the dentist yesterday I picked up some conkers. I don’t know why but I couldn’t resist the beauty of their dark brown, shiny, roundness. I had to have them – despite (or perhaps because of) feeling a little woozy.

I stuffed my pockets full, just like when I was a boy. Each one I picked up was going to be my last – but then I saw another, and another, and another. Soon my pockets bulged. What was I going to do with all these conkers?
Well there’s only one thing to do with conkers isn’t there?

Yes! Let’s go bonkers and play some conkers…let’s have a conker duel.

Here’s how:

Two players (in this case myself, Angling Andrew, and my wife, Gazumping Gaynor), each with a conker threaded on a piece of string, take it in turns to hit each other's conker, until there is one conker left. The first player holds out their conker at arm's length, hanging down, ready to be hit. The string should be wrapped around his or her hand to stop it being dropped. They must hold the conker still as the other player hits it. If it accidentally swings, the second player can steady it before they take a strike. The second player then wraps the string of his or her conker around his hand, draws it back and takes aim. He or she then lets go of the conker as he or she swings his or her arm in an arc and tries to hit the other person's conker. The first player then has a go at hitting the other player's conker and take it in turns until one conker disintegrates - narrowly missing taking out somebody or others eye.

NOTE: If the player deliberately moves his or her conker while waiting for it be hit, the other player is allowed another go!

ANOTHER NOTE: Girls aren’t very good at conkers but I thought it only fair to put ‘his’ and ‘hers’ as I like to be PC where possible.

When I was a boy we used to hold huge conker tournaments that lasted a day, a week, or until we simply ran out of conkers or got bored. The winner was the boy (girls simply didn’t play conkers back then, well not in our tournaments) with the last conker standing.

This is how we scored.

If a conker had never been used before and succeeded in breaking another unused conker, it scored one and became a 'one-er'. If, in the next game it broke another new conker, it became a 'two-er' and so on. But, if the two-er lost a game and was broken, its score was added to the other person's conker. So if they used a new conker on a two-er, it became a three-er and so on. If the conker that broke it had already broken others, then the scores of BOTH the conkers were added together and added to the winner. So if you used a three-er on a two-er, then the score awarded to the winning conker would be five. Get it? Confused? Yes, so was I, still am.
.
We used to have all sorts of tricks for making a really tough conker. This was the best one - first we’d pour some vinegar into a jam jar and leave it to soak for two minutes exactly, then we’d take the conker out of the vinegar and let it dry for an hour or so. Once dry, we’d heat our mum’s oven to 250°C and bake it for one and a half minutes, then take it out, leave it to cool, and string it. This really worked. Jimmy Braham once had a hundred and thirty three-er that had been made like this. It would probably still be going strong today if he hadn’t have dropped it down a drain. My best was a nineteen-er, it was Jimmy’s conker that conked it.

Gaynor and I held a tournament last night, a small one, first to get a five-er. I lost.

Maybe girls can play conkers after all.

13 comments:

  1. A while ago, my mum read me a letter from womans own or some such thing. It was this woman who, on the way back from town passed a conker tree and decided to fill her pockets with conkers for her son. So she struggled back home with 10lbs of conkers, and as she walked through the door she remembered her son was 21 and away at university.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember my brothers storing their conkers in vinegar in the wardrobe - why the wardrobe I don't know unless it was supposed to help being in the dark?
    I never played, as you say, girls didn't tend to back then.
    Conkers are banned in schools now because of elf & safety - poor children.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...very entertaining read guys...perked me and Chicken up!

    NB. Top conker tree up by the tennis courts in Scalby, Scarborough...Andi you'd have a field day x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Played conkers in Scotland many a time and so did loads of other girls. You lot south of the border are just soft.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very probably Michelle, very probably.

    I heard rumours of the Scottish girl conkerers when I was a boy in South Oxfordshire, I never believed it to be true though...until now that is.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Facebook conversation string:

    Andrew Bickerdike likes this.

    Scott Mitchell wrote:
    133er??!! As if!!

    Andrew Bickerdike wrote: the horde of conkers... I remember well...

    Richard Shore wrote: he's not going to like blog comments on his facebook page!

    Linda Kemp wrote: tuf! I can't blog!
    I love the look and feel of fresh conkers!
    (Hope that doesn't sound too rude lol)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, brings back some memories does that one.

    We had similar contests at our school with an additional rule that if the strings became entangled the players were allowed to try and yank their opponent's conker out of their grasp. Should your opponent's conker then end up on the floor you would shout 'Stampsies!' - entitling you, and everyone watching the contest, to try and stomp the fallen conker into oblivion while its owner tried vainly to retrieve it.

    Caused a fair few fights that rule.

    I also once caused myself a rather nasty hand injury while making a hole in a conker with a meat skewer. Tip: do not hold the conker in the palm of your hand whilst pushing a meat skewer through it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good advice - but don't try this at home children...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember the magnificent Fall color of the New England maples when I was a young man working in radio in Boston. We didn't have conkers, that was a limey thing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Even better than playing conkers is gathering them. Even better than gathering them is knocking them out of the tree with a thrown stick or a kicked football. I remember spending hours doing this in competition with a group of other boys (no girls). Conkers knocked out of trees are not always ripe but if they are reasonably well-formed you can take them out of the shell, put them on a window sill & watch them slowly change from milky white to chestnut brown. They are never as good for fighting as properly ripened ones. Happy days.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Orson, have you forgotten about Buckeyes?

    ReplyDelete
  12. No Madame I have not, Aesculus Glabra.

    But you wouldn't see me dead wearing a Buckeye necklace.

    ReplyDelete