Saturday 29 August 2009

Caught in a Breugel...

My family on my father’s side are of Dutch decent. They came across from Holland in the early 1800’s and settled in Lincolnshire. They were blacksmiths and farmers; lumpy, country folk – like me.

Breugel was Dutch. He painted the lumpy, country folk; they were the bread-and-butter of his subject matter - peasant weddings, peasant children playing games in the square, peasants returning from the winter hunt… and peasants being robbed by vagabonds.

I found this little drama in one of Breugel’s paintings, I won’t tell you which one, take a look for yourself, he’s a marvellous painter - that poor chap in brown looks like he’s being robbed, maybe even worse, by those two unsavoury characters in the funny hats. I think he’s reaching for his knife to protect himself - he looks a lot like me, I hope he draws his knife in time.

Yes, he looks a lot like me. I hope it wasn’t one of my ancestors, but if it was I hope that he got that knife out in time.

5 comments:

  1. Ah yes, how well I remember the treachery of friends and associates.

    That old line about friends and enemies still holds up pretty well - 'Keep your friends close, and your enemies even closer'. If I'd remembered that at the time I may even have made some money out of my films!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Knowing you are part Dutch helps explain a lot

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok I admit defeat and can't find the particular painting from which this detail is taken.

    Breugel and the Icarus painting always brings to mind Auden's poem; Musee des Beaux Artes. The juxtaposition of tragedy and normal life is so accurate.

    So go on put me out of my misery; there is only so much time I can spare for internet surfing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The painting is - Cutting out the stone of madness - I find it very disturbing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Having now looked at the painting I rather wish he was just being robbed. As you say, disturbing.

    ReplyDelete