Thursday 27 August 2009

A bit snappy...

Here are some of the photographs of the flowers that I took whilst wandering around Bodnant Gardens.

There were flowers everywhere you turned so it was almost impossible not to be tempted into taking a few snaps of them. Anyway, I was tempted and here’s the result. I’ve never really understood why people take pictures of flowers until recently; actually I’ve never really understood why people take photographs at all until recently, but now I get it – I can’t stop snapping. I carry a camera with me everywhere and mourn the photographs that I should have taken but never did – New York, Paris, London, Munich (everybody talk about), Christmas, childhoods, Barbados, birthdays… I still have time though – and digital photography makes it so much easier.

Some of my photographs end up in this blog wrapped up in some words and thoughts, most of them languish in folders on my laptop gathering dust and waiting for the moment when I might need them as illustration or inspiration.

I have lots of photographs in waiting. Pictures of the countryside - animals, clouds, trees, Little Duckington, insects, birds, Misty, drain grids, waves – lots and lots of photographs, but there’s one subject that escapes me – my wife Gaynor.

Gaynor doesn’t like having her photograph taken. When I try she walks away, turns her back on the camera, or finds some other way of stopping me snapping her – a brick to the head, a shove off a precipice, maybe a well-aimed punch to the solar plexus. I don’t know why being snapped should make her so snappy, but it does - and I have yet to get a photograph of her for ‘the record’.

I came close with this one though. If only I’d been a second quicker I’d have managed it, the Holy Grail. Goodness knows what would have happened if I'd succeeded – a smashed-to-smithereens camera (what is a smithereen I wonder), a decree nisei, an ‘unavoidable accident’ with a piece of pipe in the library… who knows? Anyway, I wasn’t quite quick enough this time and ended up ‘snapping’ the hand, much to Holly’s obvious amusement. The picture serves you right Holly – after all, you pulled that face, not me.

I’ll keep trying, I’ll get her one day, she WILL appear in my blog sooner or later. It’s only a matter of time, some luck ,and good lighting.

Yes, I’ll get that snap of her sooner or later.

5 comments:

  1. MMMnnn. Not so sure about this. I feel that we can be so busy behind the camera that we miss the real moment.Consequently at very important events I rarely have a camera prefering the mind's eye instead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should , however, compliment you on the quality of the photos. Maybe , like you, will have a road to Damascus moment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember seeing a photo of Gaynor on your office desk when I first met you in 1995 so one does exist!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love those flower photos by the way.
    I'm keener on taking photos now because of my blog. Not so keen on taking video, more fiddly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, pictures exist - just not recent ones. it is blogging that has got me into photography also, I go to silly lengths for a good shot these days - as you will see during 'Little Duckington' week.

    Michelle, I take your point, I used to feel the same - unfortunately I'm finding that I forget what the moment was these days... must be an age thing.

    ReplyDelete