Thursday 13 August 2009

Shooting stars...

Did you see the shooting stars last night, The Perseid meteor shower?

No, me neither. Why is it that when ‘once in a century, lifetime, decade, year’ celestial things come around its always too cloudy, or foggy, or happening somewhere else? Oh well, there’s always next year.

The meteor shower, caused by the dust of the debris trail of Comet Swift-Tuttle as our world passes through it , is there for a few days then gone for another year.

Just like Thame fair. Thame fair; it’s only a few weeks away (calloo callay). As a child it was around this time, shooting star time, that I’d begin to get excited by the thought of the fairs arrival.

I felt the first lazy yawn of autumn in the air today – the smell of smoke and crunch of leaves, the mists and scudding indigo grey clouds. Almost time for the fair, the fair is coming, the fair is coming.

The mid-September fair in Thame was such a ‘magic’; such a ‘magic’ that every year I could hardly wait for ‘Thame fair week’ to arrive. Of course it wasn’t a week - the fair would arrive on Wednesday morning, set itself up with the wave of a wand, the swish of a top hat, and stay just a few short days, running the length of Upper and Lower High Street - like a long, stretched out, sleeping dragon awaiting the breath of life.

Three nights only - Thursday, Friday, Saturday - by lunch-time Sunday gone; as if it had never existed, the smell of candy floss and onions blown away, the popcorn cartons and brass BB gun pellets swept neatly up or pocketed by small boys, the tiny, plastic-bagged, goldfish all taken home to die in too small bowls a day, a week, a month later, but all too soon.

Half-a-crown, two shillings and sixpence, twelve and a half (new) pence; what pleasure it bought – and one for each three nights, one year a ten bob note! Hard to believe that I rode, and threw, and eat till sick, THREE NIGHTS, for all of fifty pence!

A ‘go’ on the rolling ball clowns, their sinister faces scaring me when I was not quite four, ‘score over twenty to win a prize’… Hoopla, ‘win a fiver’… the Penny arcades, the steel ball bearing spinning around and around, into the cup, and all to get your copper penny back… one arm bandits, ‘three cherries and you win a shilling’... the laughing policeman, ‘ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, haaa… the haunted house, ‘look out, look out, here comes the GHOST’!

And the middle, by the Abingdon, the huge white, Boxing Tent, men only, no children or respectable women, ‘all comers taken! Go on Bob, go on Bob!’… the Tunnel of Love, ‘never, not me (but wishing I could)’… the Dodgems, and Rockets, and Ferris, the Helter Skelter… and the clang, clang, clang, of the brass bell upon the wooden bus, and my little red car, honk, honk, and the Roundabout slowly turning by crank - ‘wait until it stops, and, and, and, and, and, and….

… then finally, and at last, each closing race on the galloping horses. First, so young, in a Dragon Boat; and later riding up and down, up and down, laughing on painted, psychedelic horse, clinging to the golden twisted pole, as music from the whistling organ pipes pumped out of its heart and mine.

Thame fair - from pushchair three to sulking early teen, holding breath, hot-handed; waiting for the fair to come, dreaming and wishing for those three short nights of joy and wonder – would I felt that still.

Smell the smoke, hear the crunch of leaves, reach out and touch the mists, and watch the scud of the indigo grey clouds… autumn’s coming; Thame fair is on its way.

I can hear the music once more, perhaps this year I'll return.

7 comments:

  1. ooh that was very atmospheric. I can't recall ever going to a fair. I remember the smell of those caps though

    ReplyDelete
  2. We always use to go to the fair just before the St Ledger. That was the begining of autumn too - Winter comes in on the tail of the last horse in the St Ledger.
    We went again a few years ago - it wasn't as good as I remember, but I guess nothing ever is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He would tell you that EVERYTHING is as good as you remember and that your memory is simply adding shine. But, you know what? He'd be wrong.

    Most things aren't as good as they used to be, most things are better, not all things though.

    You'll have to decide about the St Ledger.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you remember the time Leo and I sneaked out to meet you and Ju-Ju at the fair? Boarding boys were not allowed into the town at night. We met up with those girls from the Wenman secondary and we all went through the Fun house. We certainly had some fun in the dark. What were their names? Fenella and angela I remember but what were the other two? I'm in Frankfurt and it is raining. What are you up too?

    ReplyDelete
  5. They were called Allison and Ingrid. I went out with them both at different times and for a while - but neither worked out. Didn't you snog Fenella?

    What am I up to? I'm up to the usual - but I'm thinking of going to the fair this year. If you fancy it let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  6. BMD - never been to a fair? Let me know if you'd like to go to one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My cousin Facebooked me and she said:

    Hi, I liked the bit you did on the fair, I didn't go that much as mum was at bingo or the pub, and I had your sister Caroline looking after me.

    I did sneak out once, took some money from my mums bedroom, went on the octopus and was sick, I now don't like fast rides.

    ReplyDelete