Tuesday 4 February 2020

Walking on the wing...

Today I am winging it on a wing and a prayer, well maybe not a prayer, but deffo winging it Wing Commander. Sometimes all you have to do is start writing and see what will fly and today is one of those days. So let’s run it up the flagpole and see what happens, shall we? Let’s move out on the wing. Wilco Winco?

To wing it is an idiom (no not idiot, but if the cap fits…) that means to improvise without
proper preparation or time to rehearse. People often talk about winging it when they didn’t
prepare for a difficult day - like making a speech, or a presentation or sitting an interview or
a disco dance competition. A wing and a prayer is much the same thing but with reliance on
divine intervention to make it go well. Well, in God I don’t trust, but as I’ve been winging it all
of my life I sometimes wonder (like Neil Tennant and the rest of Electronic) just how I’ve got
away with it for so long. Let’s face it, I’m hardly professional, but then I never set out to be.
I’m a chancer you see and like all good chancers, I rely on luck to get me through and it
always has pretty much. I’d rather wait for a last-minute flash of inspiration than spend long
nights preparing - preparation is just boring, a waste of drinking time. On a wing and a
prayer? Yes - and I’d rather pull it out of thin air.

At school, I left my homework until the last minute. I didn’t really revise for exams and cheated
only occasionallyish - and I never really failed or fell too hard. At work, inspiration hit me
twenty times a day, no more and no less, because that was the requirement twenty ads a day,
day in and day out, and you got really used to waiting for that illuminatory flash -
KERFLINCHHHH! - and it always did. Inspiration carried me on in my later career,
although at times I knew I was flying by the seat of my pants. I didn’t prepare for meetings,
made presentations on the hoof, and sometimes didn’t even bother to know anything about
what I was in charge of. I was once in charge of designing a complete business-wide system,
one I didn’t even know how to log onto, let alone use. It worked pretty well though when I
delivered it (applause, applause) and when I went to America to set up a new arm of the
business I did it but I’ve no idea how. It certainly wasn’t a planned thing. I got a pretty good
bonus for that and promotion, but I still don’t know what for. Perhaps it was for my cheek.

They say don’t sweat the small stuff, but I’ve hardly ever sweated the big stuff either, or even
broken into a sweat. Is that cool or am I a fool? Maybe not for most, but it worked for me, that
and surrounding myself with good, very able, and committed people. There is no ‘I’ in team
which is a bloody good thing as ‘I’ was hardly there and when ‘I’ was ‘I’ had no idea what
was going on. It seems ‘I’ am more of a scribbler than a painting by numbers sort of chap,
my scribbling seems to be pretty good though, better than most project management systems.

And with that, I’m off for a wing-walk. I’ll either fly or fall, but that is the way I like it.
Maybe I’ll even scribble something on the seat of my pants as I wing it. Anyway,  over and out.
Chocs Awayyyyyyyy!


No comments:

Post a Comment