Thursday 28 February 2013

Old ambitions...

Many years ago (so long ago that it seems like one of those nostalgic film documentaries that are sometimes shown on BBC2 on a Wednesday evening) I was a teenager. Thirteen, fourteen at the oldest; I experimented with cider, youth club discos, girls, and of course a look. I went from boy, to Cromby, to loons, to baggy Oxfords, it seemed as if in an instant.

Back then, if you knew the right pub to swagger into, you’d get served. Back then, if you looked at someone just the wrong way you’d get beaten to a pulp, chased at the very least. Back then, although I thought about asking girls to dance, I rarely did. Back then, I wanted a pair of oxblood Docs and I’ve been wanting them ever since.

Now drinking, fighting, and girling have pretty much lost there attraction over the years, and I recently began to wonder just what was left. Then it struck me - those oxblood Docs that I’d allowed to elude me.

Just why I never got around to buying a pair or two escapes me now. It wasn’t the cost, although they don’t come cheap; maybe it was because I wanted my Docs to remain a dream.

Well, more than forty years on the dream has now been realised. I have my Docs but find that I have to persuade myself to wear them. Mad I know - but you see, although I’ve worn them out for an hour or two, I hold them in such awe that I’m scared of scuffing them.

I’m sure I’ll get over it. But for now they are for ‘best’.

‘For best’, what a quaint idea. Perhaps I really am living in a nostalgic film documentary on BBC2.

8 comments:

  1. Neil Barrett on FB
    Andy I remember you wearing them in a clockwork orange do you still have the outfit?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Andrew Height
      I do Neil, although the eyelash glue isn't what it used to be... I'm singing in the rain, I'm singing in the rain...

      Delete
  2. Steve Bishop on FB
    In the early 70's I had a pair of 15 lace-hole black docs which I used to wear when "going down the Villa" with my trusty scarf tied around my wrist. The look wasn't bovver-boy cos I had long hair and wore flared jeans, but it was a uniform that many long haired Villa fans at the time. I felt 6 feet tall... Which coincidentally I was!!! Ah nostalgia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew Height Steve
      I wore a Cromby and tonic sta-press trousers and a yellow and black scarf. Which team?

      Delete
  3. Lindsey Messenger on FB
    I LOVE my dm,s...have got a few pairs now. If you pick your feet up you wont scuff them!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Andrew Height Good point Lindsey. Have you got the tartan ones yet?

      Delete

    2. Lindsey Messenger
      have got red tartan shoes, but quite old. My next pair are going to be the sandals i put on here last week!!!

      Delete
    3. Andrew Height
      Yes, they looked great.

      Delete