Wednesday 2 March 2011

A small plan…

Sunshine! Yes, some sunshine. Not much and a little thin, but enough to tempt me down the steps, out of the house, and into the back yard (or the Italianate garden as I like call it) to tidy up.

It didn’t take long. Well, there wasn’t much to tidy up really – a few dropped leaves, a couple of weeds, and of course the inevitable cat poo.

My little garden at the back of the house was one of the compromises I had to make for so much space indoors. Sometimes I regret it, but not often. It’s a very private place; completely walled with a pond and a wall fountain. It used to have electric lights, green and yellow. I may get some again so that in the summer we can have an impromptu barbecue like we used to do.

Before Wales (B.W.) it was a riot of colour in the summer. It’s amazing how much you can cram into the tiniest raised bed, and off course there were lots of pots and baskets. Since Wales I haven’t bothered much but I think I’ll give it a go again this year. I may even try some strawberries and maybe some salad. A few lettuce, spring onions, radishes, maybe even a couple of tomato plants. And I’ll definitely grow a sunflower or two, tall and huge and yellow.

It’s a haven really. I should use it more, spend more time outside, look after it better, it’s a good space. Maybe I’ll encourage the birds, hang a few feeders, even sort the pond out, maybe get a couple of fish to replace the poor old fellah who died this winter after more than fifteen years of loyal service.

After all, it gets the early morning sun and sometimes I used to have breakfast out there. Perhaps I shall again. Coffee, croissants and home-made strawberry jam.

There. I have a plan!

5 comments:

  1. INSPIRATIONAL! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coffee,paper and something to nibble on.
    A little warmth from the sun.
    'Perfick' as Pop Larkin would say.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a nice little space. Would be a shame not to use it. Do you get enough sun to ripen strawberries?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Use it, I spend time labouring in the garden and never sit in it and enjoy it - go for it AKH.

    ReplyDelete