Friday 4 March 2011

Conundrum...

According to a friend of mine I’m a conundrum, which means that I’m either a riddle whose answer is or involves a pun or unexpected twist, or I’m a logical postulation that evades resolution, an intricate and difficult problem.

Well, I’m certainly intricate. There are so many layers to my onion skin that you’d probably never stop crying if you began to peel me, although I don’t think I’m difficult or a problem. I do try to evade resolution though. But then I’ve really worked hard at my own legend over the years, ensuring that my story will have at least a few unexpected twists before it comes to an end.

I think I’m relatively logical, except when I choose not to be, and if you read this blog regularly then you’ll know that I’m a bit of a riddle. In fact that’s the whole point of ‘What a Wonderful Life’ really. It’s there to show the many layers of me.

Now don’t get me wrong. I’m not special. We all have lots of layers, but with some of us they are easier to see because we show them off rather than hiding them away inside.

WAWL is full of layers, and puns, and twists. Some of them are easily seen, some so deeply hidden that I’m not even sure that I could find them all. What seems real often isn’t around here, and what is real is often so well hidden in intricate layers that it goes unnoticed.

My blog is in part an experiment in making the unreal real. It isn’t about trickery but it is about suggestion. Here, I’ll give you an example: I came across a photograph on the net that so much reminded me of my mum that I used it an a post about my mum. What is interesting is that although it isn’t my mum my mum believes that it is and even remembers the day it was taken and the detail of the objects surrounding her.

Now I’m not going to give away all of my secrets (no great legerdemain ever does) but WAWWL is full of these puns and twists if you know how to look. Things that evade resolution, clear and simple things that are actually intricate and difficult and intricate and difficult things that are actually quite clear and simple.

Perhaps my friend is right. Perhaps I’m a conundrum after all.

3 comments:

  1. Oh er, I'm not comfortable with that photo of your mum who isn't your mum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jamie Mordencommented on Facebook:
    you're a riddle, wrapped up in an enigma!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tricia Kitt commented on Facebook:
    Tricia wrote "definitely dodgy riddle..."

    ReplyDelete