Tuesday 15 March 2011

Kew Gardens in my kitchen...

Remember me telling you a couple of weeks ago that my office on the kitchen worktop was ordered removed by the keeper of the keys and that I had set up my out-of-work station in the cellar? Well my office has now been replaced by a miniature version of Kew Gardens as ever more numerous pound-shop mini-propagators appear where once my papers, phone and laptop sat.

My Excuse? Well, it’s that time of year isn’t it? Early spring - the time when you want to steal a march on nature and get your seedlings going good and early.

There’s a radiator directly underneath that piece of work surface and sometimes, when you can actually see it, we use it as a breakfast bar. It makes a marvellous heat tray for my seeds though, and amazingly I’ve had courgettes come through in less that three days and yesterday some lobelia in twenty-four hours! Amazing what a little heat can do.

It’s not much better in the upstairs lounge where my propagators stand in line all along the windowsill as my seedlings take in the sunshine. It’s the sunniest room in the house and you can almost hear them sigh with contentment as they grow and bask in the warmth on the second floor.

Last Sunday I planted some ipomea quamoclit cardinalis seeds. They were one of my ten pence bargains from Wilkinson’s 'Fantastic End Of Season Sale!' last year. Did you know that 'The Romans were probably the first to cultivate their favourite plants across the Empire, whilst much later Plant Hunters of the 18th and 19th Centuries collected specimens from across the continents' ? Well, that's what it says on the seed packet.

This particular ipomea variety is native to South America and sub tropical so I didn’t really expect much of a result. Even so I planted the seeds in small individual ice cream pots, the ones with the re-sealable lids, and placed them on the radiator in the upstairs lounge. This morning, only two days later, two of my twelve seeds had germinated!

I’m almost tempted to call it a miracle, but I shan’t. After all, I’m not quite ready to be canonised - I think that you have to be dead first.

9 comments:

  1. There is a wonderful book by Philippa Gregory called Earthly Joys. Set in the 17th century it concerns John Tradescant, plant collector to Charles I. This and the sequels tell the story of what was to become the Ashmolean (spelling) Collection as his plant collecting evolves to include other artefacts. A collectors story. One for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I spent weeks at the Ashmoleum as a student. I even got to hold Guy Fawkes Lantern. Thanks Ian, I'll seek it out. How are your plants doing?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Catherine Halls-Jukes commented on Facebook:
    our cupboard in the garden room is just under a velux window and we have also turned it into a mini green house area, sun flowers poking through, just want to plant them all out and enjoy the colours ..

    ReplyDelete
  4. My sunflowers are through too. Going to grow them at the front in big clay pots. I want to make people smile as they pass.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am just relaying Paula's gardening exploits. Potatoes are chitted and on the window sill. Bulbs are growing in the borders. Aliums and tulips of various types included. Paula has also talked next door into giving her the last quarter of their garden. It is a little neglected and will provide more space to grow veg. Allotments are hard to come by in these parts.
    I have told Paula she should speak for herself but she is playing shy. You would get on if she would get typing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mum used to have seed trays on the dining room table becasue of the sun in that room. She slowly encroached to the point where there was just enough room for her and dad. She also used the kitchen window sill and the airing cupboard. It's a real passion isn't it?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Al Spence mailed:
    I love people who grow things, specialy things that you can eat. Are you going to grow things that I could eat?

    Alan

    ReplyDelete
  8. - It is a passion BMD. Much better than just going to the garden centre.

    Ian - tell Paula not to be shy - and I do admire her persuasive powers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jill Nelmes commented on Facebook:
    That really made me laugh Andrew!! I have sowed some seeds already its very theraputic!!!

    ReplyDelete