Thursday 24 March 2011

In a hard place...

Oh, if only life could be simple. I seem to be in a hard place at the moment, or maybe I should describe it as a number of hard places. I was driving out of Pwllheli last weekend, and looking across into a field I'd passed a thousand times before I saw this stone.

Now this isn't the first time these stones have crept up on me out of nowhere to startle me with their brooding presence, and it always leaves me wondering how I missed it before. Was it even there before I saw it and did my seeing it make it real?

Is anything really there before you see it? Do we have to see something, really notice it, to make it real?

---------------------------------------------------

Sometimes I wish I were a stone. Stones don’t get touched by the things going on around then, the people who are around them. Stones don’t have to worry about the way the wind is blowing or the rain that’s falling, the heat that’s waiting or the chill that’s coming.

Stones don’t have to try, they simply are.

If I were a stone I’d stand in my field and just be. If I were a stone I’d turn my back. If I were a stone I’d not hear or see and have to hear or see. If I were a stone a stony me I’d be.

Stones don’t have to be, they simply are.

A stony me, I’d not be needing or knowing. A stony me, I’d never be for caring. A stony me, I’d be not ever chancing. A stony me, with no song and no dancing.

---------------------------------------------------

Perhaps, I don’t want to be a stone after all.

Maybe I’ll just deal with my complicated life, notice the things that make it complicated, make them real and let my heart melt the stone around it.

7 comments:

  1. Jamie Morden commented on Facebook:
    Jamie wrote "Simply...Beautiful!..."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nick Jennings commented on Facebook:
    A winter's day, in a deep and dark December?

    ReplyDelete
  3. More the promise of spring to be followed summer Nick.

    ReplyDelete
  4. By the way - this one is for my daughters.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nick Jennings commented on facebook:

    just the middle bit made me think of Simon & Garfunkel, "
    And a rock feels no pain;
    And an island never cries."

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are far too complicated to ever be a stone.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You may want to be a stone dad, and sometimes you may put on a pretty good guise, but you're not and we know it! And for the record, usually the things that make life complicated are good things, if they weren't or we didn't care, why would there be any complication at all? Try to embrace them xxxx PS Thanks for the post - it's lovely

    ReplyDelete