Tuesday 22 March 2011

Bully pigeon eats all the pies…

Grrrrrrr. Today has been one of those days us bloggers dread.

Not a supermoon day, or a Dennis the Menace birthday day, or even an ‘I’ve just stacked up my Kindle by downloading just about every free classic that isn’t written in the original German’ day (although I have). No, today is none of these things. Today is just an ordinary, boring, run-of-the-mill, not very much happening, no real news, about as exciting as watching the proverbial paint dry, get-up-and-then-go-back-to-bed-later day.

Not there is anything unusual about that. Most days are by definition of who I am somewhat ordinary, after all I’m not a paid assassin… unfortunately.

On that subject there are some people I’d do for free. Oh, don’t worry, if you are one of them you already know who you are, so you can stop wondering if you are on my list.

Neither am I the lead guitarist in a heavy metal band living the rock n’ roll lifestyle and throwing TV’s out of my hotel window. I wonder if the change to flat screen has diluted the excitement of all that? After all, there isn’t that much substance to a flat screen, not much to crash and explode when it misses some very lucky passer-by’s head by barely an inch. Or should that be 2.54 centimetres? Oh yes, I did some maths and some English today - but that’s for another time.

I did go shopping and I did plant up a few petunias - and of course I’ve already mentioned my Kindle which now is fit to bursting with The Prisoner of Zenda (Anthony Hope), Wessex Tales (Thomas Hardy), Lord Jim (Joseph Conrad), The Mysterious Island (Jules Verne), Ghost Stories of an Antiquarian - volumes one and two (M.R. James) and scores of other classic books that I’m sure I’ll get around to reading (or in some cases re-reading) some day.

So stuff has happened - but hardly anything worth blogging you with.

By the way when I say my Kindle is ‘bursting’ I use the word for effect rather than literally; my Kindle still has plenty of space, enough for at least another fourteen hundred books or so.

After lunch I Googled my Uncle Len who died last week and found that he had his own Wikipedia page. ‘Leonard James Webb (April 16, 1921 — March 19, 2011) was a British World War II veteran who was present at the liberation of Bergen-Belsen concentration camp in 1945.’ I already knew this, and pretty much everything else on his Wiki page. I know a lot more about him too, but I’m saving that up for a post in the not too distant future – as a taster though: he had a red-black marble ashtray with a carved eagle standing on a swastika which he had liberated from Josef Kramer’s office.

After that, I sat in my Italianate courtyard (back yard) for a while waiting for the fish to come to the surface and eat the pond pellets with ‘spirulina and vitamin ‘C’ - for healthier more energetic fish’, but they never showed; which just goes to prove that vitamins and health additives don’t work - at least not on my fish.

By the way, we have five fish now. I went out and bought three pond shibunkins (‘red brocade’ as translated literally from the Japanese) last week. Perversely mine are not red or (as far as I can tell) brocaded in any way whatsoever; I have two blue-grey ones and a black and brown and as always they have proved impossible to photograph - which has rather spoilt my plans for the header picture for this post.

Yes today has been what they call in the world of journalism and blogging a slow day, a no-news day, the day when the silliest things get into the headlines and even sillier pictures are printed on the front page.

Well, he wasn’t a really a bully (there were no other birds involved) and there weren't any pies in the feeder (just some seed and a few suet pellets), but you have to grab people’s attention somehow don’t you.

3 comments:

  1. I think you'll be getting some news today that will turn today into a news day for you!
    So sorry to hear about your Uncle Len - what a life people of that generation led.
    Glad to hear you have downloaded Thomas Hardy - he's my No 1 favourite author, I fell in love with his tales when aged 14 I was given a box set by my eldest brother.
    As for pigeons, I have them fighting away on the roof of my conservatory and they make the most enormous racket, I hate them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard about Len. Such a shame.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to her about your uncle and that other chap Tank.

    ReplyDelete