Thursday 22 July 2010

Rosebud...

For those of you who know me in the 'real' world (whatever that is) you may have heard me mention that I collect snow globes. Yes, those glass balls full of water that, when you give them a shake, give the illusion that it's snowing inside the glass sphere. Here are a few of my collection, yes a few, there are many, many more - I have well over two hundred of the things.

I have so many that I may start to feature some of them in this blog. I have some beauties, some rare collectors items and others with a story, and you know how I love to tell a story - so be prepared, the snow globe sagas are coming.

And why this fascination with snow globes? Well good question. Firstly, I am a collector by nature and have collected many things over the years, secondly, I like illusion, thirdly, although they are 'naff' in so many ways I find them very amusing in a sicky, sentimental, childhood way, and lastly, Citizen Kane.

Yes, Citizen Kane the Orson Welles movie, but you'll have to watch it to find out what I mean... 'Rosebud'.

5 comments:

  1. I have a snow shaker that I bought on my honeymoon in Paris. It has the Eiffel Tower inside it. Oh la la!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you could've found out what Rosebud meant, I bet that would've explained everything...

    No, I don't think so; no. Mr. Kane was a man who got everything he wanted and then lost it. Maybe Rosebud was something he couldn't get, or something he lost. Anyway, it wouldn't have explained anything... I don't think any word can explain a man's life. No, I guess Rosebud is just a... piece in a jigsaw puzzle... a missing piece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry but I can't help worrying about the dusting

    ReplyDelete
  4. Best not to think about the dusting. It is an issue.

    ReplyDelete