Tuesday 20 July 2010

The inherent dangers of baking…

It’s been a spell since I nonsensed up a verse and doodled down a character.

Flicking through my doodle book one day last week I came across this poor creature, her name’s Katie Cake. She was once the centre of a love triangle which led to a terrible and bloody vendetta between Mr Smudge and Flavius, but that was years ago, and anyway, her marriage to the baker didn’t last.

Katie loves cake, ‘oh yes she does’, but baking cakes has inherent dangers, particularly when love turns that slightly skewed corner onto Compulsion Street…

For Anonymous – whoever you are


Katie Cake

(or the dangers of cake making)

Katie Cake, oh Katie Cake,

All she ever did was bake.

Up with dawn all wide awake,

Setting to with no mistake,

As though her very life at stake,

Nor any rest did she ever take,

Although her hands would pain and ache,

Of food, she never would partake,

And water too, she did forsake,

She mixed until her legs would shake,

And tiny eyes turned red opaque,

Till mouth would bleed and knees did quake,

And the tips of her fingers began to flake,

She mixed so hard her arm did break!


Oh Katie Cake, oh Katie Cake

Stop baking cake for heaven’s sake,

Instead take that bloodied lump of steak

And warm it in your skillet.


11 comments:

  1. I love your doodle - depressing end to the poem though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see that you spotted the irony of the piece BMD. Well done, I knew that I could rely on you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tank
    I got your letter yesterday. I can't remember the last time I got a real letter what a treet. They are letting me out on thursday and I have to say that I can't waiot to be home. I remember Katie Cake from school she didn't look like that thiough. From what I remeber she was a stunner, I expect you just used the name right. Anyeay I'll give you a call at the weekend, thanks again old friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alison Gee commented Facebook:

    "Mmmmmmmmm cake!!!! - sorry Andy"

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not the Anonymous you dedicated to, but I am anonymous, finding your blog tonight as I surfed the blogosphere.

    Thanks.

    Your images and verse, so succinct and to the point, although I'm not sure that I understand the meaning, but I do understand the feeling.

    I live in California where the sun shines and all is rinky-dinky. It's cool to have another perspective.

    Warm that meat in your skillet. Rock on Katey Cake!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous Angel (we know who we are) just mailed me this.

    I totally get it. Nice style to the graphic and an oh so English way with those words, reminds me of Caroll and maybe Monty Python. As Angel said, ROCK ON!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tony Payne e-mailed:

    very nice. your talents as a postman are wasted!

    so what's the story with mr. smudge and flavious?

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are welcome whoever you are.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Drawforjoy Illustrations commented on Facebook:

    What a funny drawing and poem! Great job, A.!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very much liked the use of the word skillet. A nice touch of savoury in what could have otherwise been too sweet a morsel.

    ReplyDelete