Tuesday 3 June 2014

Two men in their underwear...

I was asked the other day how long I’d been blogging. In all honesty I couldn’t remember and had to check. As it turns out, I stumbled into Bedford Falls way back in December 2008, almost six years ago. Six years, where have they gone. Over 1500 posts, around the same number of illustrative graphics, often originals, over half a million words, 57 registered followers, and more readers through Facebook.

I still find myself asking why I do it. Of course I know all the answers to that question by now, and the truth is I doubt that I could stop even if I wanted to. I’m an addict and, as there seems to be no Bloggers Anonymous, I don’t think that I’ll ever stop being hooked.

It’s disturbing really, the thought that I’ve spent so much time on something so inconsequential when I could have written three novels with all those words. Of course to write a novel you need characters, a plot, a great ending, and an awful lot of perspiration. Even so, I keep telling myself that I will one day.

That’s it really, apart from the picture. It’s the Mael twins, Russell and Ron, Sparks by their other name. I came across it a while ago and found it doubly disturbing. Firstly because of it’s subject matter, and secondly because I can’t decide which of them is more creepy in their undies; Russell in his perfect black briefs or Ron in his dirty vest and pants combo.

They are two sides of the same coin really I guess. Maybe my blog is like that, another side of the same coin. I’m sure that hidden away inside it somewhere is a ripping good book. All the words are there, not necessarily in the right order (thanks Eric), but there nonetheless.

Two men in their underwear… maybe I could use that thought as the starting point for my next book.

10 comments:

  1. Pete Bevins on FB
    Ron and russ. Quality act.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew Height
      Heard 'Angus Desire' when I was 15 and was hooked. at the time I thought that they were German!

      Delete
    2. Pete Bevins on FB
      That'll be the 'tache

      Delete
    3. Andrew Height
      And the fact that Russell sounded really odd in the early records.

      Delete
    4. Andrew Height
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WILj-tnz56s

      Sparks-A Woofer in Tweeter's Clothing [Full Album] 1972
      1972

      Delete
    5. Pete Bevins on FB
      They were on totp 1979 last week, no1 song all over heaven

      Delete
    6. Andrew Height
      Yes, by then their music was as accessible as Roxy Music became. Sparks went back to avant garde though, unlike Roxy.

      Delete
  2. Jonny South on FB
    This town ain't big enough for the both of us DAH-DAH-DAH-DAH

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vicky Sutcliffe on FB
    Sparks! That's a blast from the past!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ian Maclachlan on FB

    I for one am glad you feel compelled to blog. The number one blog all over heaven I believe. Martin Holmes does a fine job too. This town ain't big enough for both of you? I think it is.

    ReplyDelete