Monday 2 June 2014

Street Partyyyy...

Another day, another street party. This time a celebration of 40 glorious years since Trafford Borough was brought into existence. Oh deep joy, so much more to celebrate than just another royal wedding or a mere jubilee. Yes, forty glorious years of Trafford… Huzzah!

Mind you our road doesn’t really need much of a reason to break out the booze and vol-au-vents, and once the cars were cleared, the gutters emptied of the previous night’s chip papers, burger wrappings, dog ends, and flyers advertising everything from curry to stick on nails, the road scrubbed up pretty well.

The organisers (three cheers) had managed to order up a sunny day, a barrel of beer, a long line of tables, some fun activities, and a glorious karaoke which all helped the party to go with a swing. 

The menfolk of the street were as alpha male as ever, competing in the egg and spoon in shorts and frizzy wigs as if it were an Olympic sport that they’d each been training for all their lives. The women, pretty little butterflies in their gaudiest clothes, tried their best to remain sober and demure and as always failed abysmally, either falling into a haze of drunken oblivion or laughing very loudly at everything until night fell.

Not all was as it seemed though; there was a shadow over the proceedings. Although the day seemed to be going well, on closer inspection it managed to bring out some of the roads less than salubrious characters. Shady drug dealers, less than modest go-go dancer types, aging hippies rolling joints, fat old blokes in caps singing Elvis’ ‘In the Ghetto’, even drunken doctors, teachers, and young business executives, all rubbing shoulders as if they could possibly coexist on the same road. The words ‘hoi polloi’ sprang to my classically educated mind as I observed the tawdry shenanigans, then to top it all a number of these characters sat down in the road as if in protest and proceeded to (well, there’s no other way to put this) got oops outside their heads.

I sometimes wonder what the road is coming to, I really do. It gets harder everyday to keep order and decorum.

Oh well, it’s not over until the fat bloke sings and I’m a sucker for karaoke - three cheers for the king! Bring on the next one and God save Trafford and all who roll in her!

15 comments:

  1. And so speaks the dark horse crooner. Sweet blog, as ever. Dick looks remarkably at home in that get up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glynne T Kirkham
    That made me laugh. Thanks for posting.

    Andrew Height
    You are welcome.

    Glynne T Kirkham
    Have you got a name badge on?

    Andrew Height
    Yep. its a long road and we had 100 or so people there, some of who have less than my 28 years service to our little community.

    Mike King
    Mickey Rooney or Benny Hill?

    Andrew Height
    Benny Rooney. I was wearing my Australian outback hat, but my neighbour was wearing his and i didn't want to clash.

    Andrew Height
    Australian outback hats are the thing in our road..

    Kevin Burke
    should of popped along with my flat cap.. We could of done a fat boys duet

    Phil Ogden
    You've even got the Elvis 'curled lip' - top impression, mate!

    Andrew Height
    In the ghetto... it's my thing.

    Glynne T Kirkham
    You always sang 'in the meadow' to me.

    Lindsey Messenger
    Would sooo loved to have been there!!! xx

    Karen Scrace
    Love it!

    Tricia Kitt
    and the I go and spoil it all by saying somethin' stupid like.... FABULOUS!

    Kirk LaRose
    Seaside Danny Wild!

    Andrew Height
    I'm a better singer than Danny. I followed it up with 'Love on the Rocks".

    Glyn Bailey
    No George Formby?..."with my little stick of Blackpool rock...it's a euphemism for my...."

    Andrew Height
    I know, I know Glyn. I may rewrite the lyrics and give it a go next time. It'll clear the street, but what the Mr Woo?

    Maggie Patzuk
    OMG!!! I heard all about Seaside Danny Wild!!

    Andrew Height
    LA's fine the sun shines all the time Maggie Patzuk...

    Maggie Patzuk
    Andrew Height - I'm ready when you get to Sweet Caroline (ba ba ba!!!)


    John F. Tooher Prefer this hat to the cowboy look!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lindsey Messenger on FB
    Loving his big peace pendant...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vicky Sutcliffe on FB
    Al Spence???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew Height
      Nope. Our good neighbour Dick.

      Delete
  5. Stephen Entwistle on FB
    Did you win?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jayne Butterworth on FB
    Can paul and i come to live on your rd? Looks fun lol! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew Height I just stuck with the karaoke Stephen Entwistle. You can buy my house if you like Jayne Butterworth.

      Delete
  7. Tricia Kitt on FB
    I want one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jayne Butterworth on FB
    If this is what u do on ur street every night party! Please except r offer to buy andrew right now lol ha ha! X

    ReplyDelete
  9. Steve Bishop on FB
    ... dear "claims4free" I got whiplash when the bus I was travelling on suddenly disappeared. Please see photo for evidence.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tricia Kitt on FB
    UPside your head. I think!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew Height
      Yes, but trust me Tricia...

      Delete