Thursday 22 September 2011

Life on Mars…

I was always good at pretending, so good that even today I'm pretending all the time I think.

When I was a kid I could instantly become whoever I wanted - the Lone Ranger, Robin Hood, Superman, The Man from U.N.C.L.E., The Milky Bar Kid - anything I could think of and anyone I wanted to be.

I don’t remember when the pretending started. Maybe it started even before I was born, inside my Mother, inside the warmth of her body. I may have pretended to be a fish or a star or a rumble of thunder – things that I should have known nothing about. But maybe I did even then, who knows. Perhaps my pretending started before I was even conceived.

Later, during those fleeting years of freedom where each day was a wonderful opportunity to pretend be whatever I’d seen on the television the night before - Fred Flintstone, Steve Tornado, Torchy, Michael Miles, I perfected my pretending.

And then came school. By this time I was such a master of pretence that I was even able to pretend to myself that I liked it. I pretended to my teacher that I was a good pupil, and it was only after realising that pretending I knew my seven times table wasn’t going to help me in mental arithmetic tests that I gave up pretending school was fun. So, instead I pretended that it didn’t bother me if I got the answers wrong.

Because I grew fat I pretended to be funny. Of course I wasn’t. Oh, I made people laugh, but looking back it was more tragic than funny. You’d never have known it though. Pretending had become what I did. I sometimes wonder if Tony Hancock was doing the same thing, pretending to be funny when really he was tragic. Tragic inside, I think he must have been.

Later, when I’d slimmed down again and gone off to ‘O’ and ‘A’ levels I pretended to be a rebel – spouting communist doctrine and taking on the establishment by singing the Red Flag instead of hymns in assembly. I pretended that I didn’t care that the boarding boys were so privileged and looked down on me. I even pretended that I didn’t hate them.

At college I pretended to be cool, cool in a seventies kind of way – smoking, drinking, talking bollocks, for a few weeks I even pretended to be a punk, pretending that I thought it was okay to spit and have safety pins in my shirt. I even pretended that I thought the graphics course I was on was more fulfilling than the fine art painting course I gave up. See I told you I talked bollocks, even today I still pretend that I made the right choice.

College was followed by work and marriage and children. By now I was so good at pretending it was easy to appear to be everything that people expected me to be whatever the situation. I got so good at it I even began to fool myself into believing I wasn’t pretending at all.

So, washed away on a wave of pretence, I fathered and husbanded, managed and developed, coloured and chameleoned my way through my pretend life pretending to be everything I wasn’t.

So what am I pretending to be now? As it is, and because I try hard not to think where my mind wants to go, I skim over the surface or who I really am. And most of the time I get away with it. Besides pretending is easier. But really I’m still that little boy, fastest draw in the west, pretending to be a gunslinging bandit in his garden ghost town. I haven’t changed, I’m just the same.

Perhaps I’m not pretending at all, perhaps the pretend me is the real me and the me I think I am is really just me pretending to be me.

Hmmmm…

Who shall I pretend to be today?

7 comments:

  1. Kevin Parrott on Facebook:
    Tonight Matthew.............. ??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes... you're the great pretender...
    Pretending that you're doing well...

    (Although, despite all the pretending, you actually do what you do very well despite everything). M.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ta Martin - I pretend I do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Richard Shore on Facebook:
    Its the ones that don't realise they're pretending I feel sorry for.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Catherine Halls-Jukes on Facebook:
    You pretend all you want...but there are people who believed in you, your daughter, your wife, your collegues, so what if it was the real you or the pretend you, you influenced at lot of people in a positive way ....what more can you ask for.....PS You were never the Milky bar Kid, wrong hair colour for a start !!!!!!!!
    8 hours ago · Like

    Kevin Parrott We did a small club in Manchester called 'The Jungfrau" with Gene Vincent, 1963 or '64 I think. We were thrilled that he asked to borrow our mikes & PA.
    7 hours ago · Like

    Nick Jennings we only ever pretend to ourselves, to evryone else we are what we seem. OK so we rehearse in our own private way but the things you did, you did! So, Fred Flintstone, Steve Tornado, Torchy, Michael Miles, it doesn't matter, whatever mask you wore the outcome was still the same. The stuff the
    6 hours ago · Like

    Nick Jennings that happened, did happpen. Be proud of it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. David Bell on Facebook: My Dad had an official Man from U.N.C.L.E badge for in his wallet when I was in my teens.

    ReplyDelete