Wednesday 7 September 2011

Eating hedgehog...

I’m sure that the countryside used to be so full of hedgehogs that you couldn’t walk across the green at night without kicking one by mistake, sending it rolling and tumbling into the bushes. I seem to remember that there always seemed to be a dead one by the side of the road every hundred yards or so, and every single house on our estate had its own family of spiky creatures which they dutifully fed each evening with white-sliced soaked in milk.

I don’t know where they've all gone. These days they seem pretty scarce, so scarce that I almost couldn’t remember when I last saw one.

Hedge pigs my Gran used to call them, what with her being of Romany blood and everything. She used to claim that they tasted delicious, a cross between pork and chicken, but I doubt she every really eat one. Mind you, she did know how to cook one – gut it, wrap it in clay, cook in the embers of a fire, then pull off the clay taking the spines with it. I don’t know, maybe she made that up to.

At one time they were eaten by country people in France – stewed with shallots and garlic. But then the French also eat horses, snails, and the odd song bird or two.

I found this one creeping across the cottage drive in Wales on his way to steal the mealy worms from the bird feeder no doubt. It was a real treat to see him, like I said I almost couldn’t remember the last time I saw one. Isn’t it odd how some creatures seem so common and then seem to become so uncommon? I see dead badgers everywhere and I thought them unusual as a child and as for foxes – well there’s hardly a street in the area where I live where they don’t raid the bins at night.

I wonder where all the hedgehogs are. It can’t have been the gypsies can it?

9 comments:

  1. I only saw 5 minutes of Springwatch this year, but those 5 minutes were about hedgehogs. Apparently the modern trend for fencing back gardens (we are guilty of it) means that they can't get around easily in search of food or a mate. The solution is to make hedgehog-sized gaps between our gardens to form a wildlife corridor for them. Or plant hedges instead. Great ideas, but we haven't done it yet...
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're wonderful....I can remember how magical it was to discover one when I was a kid...and how I could never resist trying to pick them up, painful though it was

    Glyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...and does anybody know why you can only add a comment by selecting the profile 'anonymous'
    Glyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vicky Brickhill commented on Facebook:
    Saw a dead one in the road on Tuesday. The one in our back garden was seen just once.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you have a Google account it should work but I've been told that other people have that problem too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Della Jayne Roberts commented on Facebook:
    We don't have hedgehogs over here. We always had one in Exmouth - he came to eat cat food we left out for him. The only wombats I've seen in the last 6 1/2 years have been dead on the roadside (or on the road signs). Dead foxes, kangaroos, birds ... they are everywhere. But no hedgehogs :O)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nick Moseley in New Zealand commented on Facebook:
    there are an awful lot of hedgehogs on Waiheke island - they're usually to be seen in various states of besquishedness on road.

    ReplyDelete
  8. David Bell commented on Facebook:
    Dead Badger - tastes like a hedgehog but being larger it will see you into next week, especially if you leave the eyes in.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Della Height replied to my question on Facebook:
    "Not sure about echidna's - but I saw a platypus at the aquarium once."

    ReplyDelete