Thursday 21 July 2011

A quick post on the beauty that is everywhere…

I had to go to that Swedish furniture superstore yesterday. You know the one I mean, the one that sounds like ‘my ear’, or ‘gonorrhoea’, or even ‘what the hell am I doing here’. Actually thinking about it, going to the STD clinic is probably a more fulfilling experience that traipsing around a big one-way warehouse full of MDF and cardboard.

Now don’t worry I’m not going to go on about how annoying it is to have to walk all the way around the store just to get to the place where you are supposed to lift down your half ton purchase and then drag it on an uncontrollable trolley for miles to a checkout where the queues just stretch on forever. Neither am I going to go on about how fantastic the meatballs in the restaurant are, or even try to tell you why you should clear your own table after you’ve gobbled them down wishing you’d ordered the fifteen instead of the ten. I’m not even going to tell you what I bought. Although there was so much of it we had to take two journeys around the store and then have all thirteen huge and heavy boxes delivered this morning.

Let’s just say we have a project going on.

But I do want to tell you about the beautiful roundabouts (Yes, I know that beautiful roundabouts is an oxymoron) I passed on the way back from Warrington, the ones that had been seeded with wild flowers creating the most pastoral of circular meadows.

Someone in the planning office has a soul, and I wish I could shake them by the hand.

So I want to tell you how, when I saw them, I parked my car on that roundabout and spent a few hurried seconds snapping a few (two) photographs, much to the amazement of other motorists who had to swerve to avoid my car and my wife who spent those seconds trembling and sweating in fear.

I also want to tell you that I got away with it without police involvement and with no major accidents being caused by my actions (honestly officer) so - No - Harm - Done!

Dangerous?
Probably.
Risky?
Definitely.

The thing is that opportunities like that don’t present themselves everyday so you just have to grab them when they are there and just like that person in the planning office (who must have replied when asked how to spend the ‘tidy up roundabouts’ grant from the EEC said: ‘wild flower seeds?’) I grabbed it.

GRABBB!

We'll see...

6 comments:

  1. Scott Mitchell commented on Facebook:
    ‘what the hell am I doing here’ - LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emma Cholmondeley commented on Facebook:
    Every struggle or adversity we face in life is an adventure into something better - an opportunity to change the old pattern and make it new. Most people do not do what they really want or desire because they have never had the opportunity...we must take our chances when they come.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tim Preston commented on Facebook:

    Tim wrote "I wish people would stop going on about Ikea. Yes, you have to make some sort of effort to go round the place but your efforts are rewarded when you come out at the end with excitingly designed furniture at very reasonable prices. It seems that the wild flowers are just the icing on the cake of a lovely experience."

    ReplyDelete
  4. David Bell commented on Facebook:

    David wrote "Mmmmmmmmmm Ikea meatballs - food of the Gods"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Della Jayne Roberts commented on Facebook.
    Della wrote "We went to IKEA in Sydney ... The first three (3) hours of parking were FREE ... but then it progressively got dearer each hour over that limit! We doubled it (about 6 hours/not just in IKEA) and paid $30 for the pleasure (?) K had the meatballs and wishes he had more ... coffee was free as Jed has a 'Family card' - which also got us a percentage off what we bought. "Happy Family outing" ♥:O)"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Phil Morgan commented on Facebook:
    Phil wrote "Looks like your crazy idea came good. Great shot Mr Height."

    ReplyDelete