Wednesday 27 July 2011

Invasion of the funny trees...

Here it is: the Funny Tree. Well, not a tree at all really, a telephone mast pretending to be a tree in a spiky, plastic, almost-but-not-quite, kind of way.

It sits on a hill high above the Menai Straits on the mainland side between Bangor and Caernarfon. I must have passed it a thousand times, two thousand even, and each time I never fail to notice its angular impression amidst the real trees it stands amidst.

I wonder what they make of the funny tree. This tree that never sheds its leaves or bows to the wind, this tree that is made of metal, plastic, and cement with not a single drop of sap running through its tree veins – no chlorophyll here.

Each time we pass we cry ‘Funny Tree!’ Another ritual from the past for a small girl’s amusement – and for luck of course. All ritual is for luck.

I know of other alien trees, robotic and sterile, like an invasion of space dryads from another planet. One on the A64 past York and another only a few miles down the Chester Road. Look out for them; they may be coming to take over the Earth.

I wonder, can the real trees hear the tinny voices flowing through those weird spiny leaves as the funny tree sends our voices out into space back to its home planet?

4 comments:

  1. Catherine Halls-Jukes commented ofn Facebook:
    There is one of these in Portugal on the resort my Mum and Dad stay at...I remember the first time Stu, Andy Knox and I saw it, thinking how strange it looked and what was it for.....now many years on it is a familiar comfortable landmark, that means we are almost there, and breakfast will be waiting on the table for us....memories how special they are

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liz Shore commented on Facebook:
    Liz wrote "I always think about the one on the A64 when I pass, they are certainly more noticable that any other mast or transmitter - which I'm sure was not the original intention....."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sharon Hutt commented on Facebook:
    Did you know wet trees inhibit mobile phone signals so much better to have plastic ones lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the one on the A64 near York, it's a quirky thing to do

    ReplyDelete