Monday 11 July 2011

Making myself invisible...

Ever wanted to be invisible? Yes of course you have. All that fun to be had, all those riches, all that opportunity, not to mention the...

No, I won't mention that.

I like the idea of invisibility and I’m sure that one day science will come up with a device that could make you disappear from your surroundings just like the Klingon cloaking device in Star Trek.

Of course some would claim that this has already been done. The US navy’s Philidelphia experiment back in 1943 was supposedly based on some aspects of the unified field theory, a term coined by Albert Einstein. Don’t ask me to explain the theory because I can’t, but according to some accounts US Navy boffins thought that by using the unified field theory they would be able to use large electrical generators to bend light around an object so that it became completely invisible.

Allegedly they tried it on a ship.
Allegedly it worked.

Nature is very good at cloaking. You just have to look at a chameleon or some of those fishy rays to see invisibility in action. Actually thinking about it, you probably aren’t going to see invisibility in action even if you look, because nature does it so damned well.

So, if you want to be invisible, or practically invisible, I guess you simply need to blend into your surroundings and become unnoticeable. It’s not quite invisibility but it might as well be.

Camouflaged soldiers keep close to the ground to blend in with the terrain and avoid getting shot at. Maybe that is why so very few people ever seem to notice anyone sitting on the pavement. Particularly if they have somewhere to go to, particularly if they are trying to dodge the showers, and particularly if the person on the pavement is sitting hunched into a ball to make themselves appear as small as they possibly can, head down, empty Styrofoam cup in front of them. I guess some don’t want to look and others simply don’t see. After all, who takes any notice of a beggar?

Seems like invisibility to me.

8 comments:

  1. Sometimes I convince myself that I've already become invisible, other days I just wish I was or I try very hard to be...

    Keep your head down, don't make a fuss, don't draw attention to ourselves. It's like being an anti-celebrity and makes for a much simpler life...

    Who said that...? M.

    ReplyDelete
  2. girlwithmouseyhair11 July 2011 at 17:30

    Made me think this one....I'm sure that must be a good thing :o) I think people are very "selective" in life. Selective about what they chose to see or hear or do. Anything which challenges their "own little world" usually becomes invisible to them...Selective Invisibility...much easier that way for most...very sad but easier...blimey...my brain is hurting now!!!!!! -xXx-

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can empathise with both your points of view. Thanks for contributing - you have both made me think too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's really difficult to catch a bus when you're invisible.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Knock Knock....whos there? The invisble man...well tell him I can't see him.....BOOM BOOM :o) I couldn.t resist....sorry....:o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. sometimes you can feel invisible in a room full of people - can make you very uncomfortable

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't often comment but this is one close to my heart. Invisibility to me is cowardly and selfish. Wanting to be somewhere or see something for your own benefit, not that of others. A bit like calling the phone that you know won't be turned on when you don't really want to talk when there are plenty of alternative numbers. I'm sure most have done so at one time or another. To me visibility is not a positive thing but a way of tricking people, particularly when they do look, search even, but maybe not in the right places. I agree with Girlwithmousyhair - people are very selective in life. Nice pic by the way.

    ReplyDelete