Thursday 7 May 2009

What a day! – three and final

So, as my Sunday post briefly mentioned, first prize in my category at Nefyn show. Wow!

Well maybe not so ‘Wow!’ actually... time to tell you what really happened, time to own up and give you the whole story.

It had stopped raining by the time I got to the craft and produce tent to see how I’d done. There it was that small red card… I’d got a first! Well done me! Wait a minute though, where were all the other pieces of hand-painted glass? I looked around – embroidery, crochet, beading, jewellery - across the way - jam, cakes, biscuits – to the left - flower arrangements, single stems, petal pictures – the right - photographs, pottery, decoupage. No other glass though.

I’d come first in my class, but it was a class of one. I was the only entry.

My spirits became as grey and low as the clouds outside the tent. I hadn’t really won at all. I knew that the judges could have decided not to place me, or give me a second, third, fourth, commended even, but I was still the only entry – it didn’t seem right that I’d got a first somehow. How could I come first when there was no competition?

Worst was to come though. I hadn’t realised that there was an actual ‘step up to the front, big round of applause’ presentation. I thought I’d just pick up my glass and leave… quietly, without any fuss, incognito.

I didn’t want to go up and get my prize. Firstly, I didn’t feel that I should – after all I was the only entry in my class - that wasn’t winning. Secondly, all the other winners seemed to be children and old ladies. There is a story around how and why I got into glass painting which I will relate to you at some point… but glass painting... flowers - how embarrassing… and the room was full of bearded sheep farmers.

I squirmed as I waited for my turn to come. It was too embarrassing. I was about to walk out without my prize when the judge called the winner of the embroidery forward.

‘Hefyn Roberts’ he announced. A big, burley, bearded farmer stepped forward, he was beaming as he took his small, square, brown envelope. So I wasn’t the only man to enjoy doing ‘crafty’ things – and his ‘thing’ was sewing! Thank God for that.

I gave my £2 prize to Holly. She’s doing a sponsored walk in a few weeks. I kept the award certificate though.

So that’s that. Nefyn show over for another year. It took ages to scrub the re-admittance stamp off my hand – they must have used indelible ink.

Perhaps next year I’ll bake some scones – the competition is stiffer.

3 comments:

  1. Thing is AKH, you are a winner because even if there had of been other entries they couldn't have close to you.
    That last photo of your hand is very sinister looking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you plan scones for next year, remember helen Mirren's speech to the WI about Victoria sponges..."if in doubt, buy them from M&S"

    So now you can accurately say that you are in a class all of your own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe I'll enter three pieces and get first, second and third!

    ReplyDelete