Wednesday 20 May 2009

The men in white...

So, I’m at the farm where we stable Chester walking down to the field where he’s out for the summer, along the muddy tree lined lane, when I glance to my left and through the trees I see…

Buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

What is that?

It looks like… What does it look like?

Definitely figures, at least a dozen maybe as many as sixteen, and they look vaguely human but – they are so white… and their heads are the wrong shape. Are they aliens? They definitely seem to be wearing some sort of helmets or masks. Masks! Oh my God, something must have happened! They’ve been sent to neutralise some deadly virus that’s landed in a meteorite or something. Or perhaps there’s been a terrible accident at some secret government laboratory, maybe something has escaped, something that wasn’t meant to escape - a mutated radioactive rat, or a bio-reengineered creature intent on wiping out everything in its path.

We are all doomed! Doomed do you hear?

Buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

No, stop! Infernal buzzing. There must be a perfectly rational explanation as to why some twenty or thirty white suited beings are wandering around in an old orchard in the depths of North Wales.

Angels? No that’s hardly rational. Fancy dress? Perhaps they have all come as snowmen, but if that’s the case where are all the top hats, scarves and carrot noses? No, not snowmen. Maybe they’re shooting a commercial for Daz washing powder - that would certainly explain the white suits – not the headgear though. Klu Klux Klan? No, not these days, not in Wales.

So why are there hundreds of white suited beings wandering around in the woods today?

Buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. What?

Druids! That fits! They are druids looking for mistletoe on the lichen covered branches of the old apple trees. They have an ancient ritual to perform and need the mistletoe to make a soporific drug to calm the poor young virgin that they are going to sacrifice. Young virgin? No, not these days, not in Wales.

Okay so they’re not aliens, government agents, angels, snowmen, actors, racists or druids… that only leaves ghosts and I don’t believe in ghosts, so I must be imagining them.

Buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

That's it I'm imagining them, just like I'm imagining this damned buzzing in my head. It was bound to happen - I’ve finally lost my mind, I’m seeing things. Too much blogging I guess. Perhaps that’s why they’re wearing white suits! Not ghosts at all – attendants from the asylum. That’s it! I’ve lost my mind and they’ve come to take me away, lock me up, throw away the key, and leave me to listen to this damned buzzing.

Buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

‘Hey you! Over here! Bring the jacket. I’ll come quietly. Just make it stop...’

2 comments:

  1. Perhaps it was the annual general meeting of the Bee Keepers Society?!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are right. I bought some honey from them afterwards. Thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete