Tuesday 19 May 2009

Small Pleasures...

There are some things that make you feel good and you can't for the life of you understand why.

I’m not talking about cream cakes, or bargains, or good books here. I’m talking about those little things that make your heart sing and your spirits lift when they really shouldn’t, unexpected intervals in life that fill you with smug self-satisfied glee. Little things where there’s no rational explanation as to why they should give you such a buzz, and logic demands that there should be no pleasure involved at all – but they do, and there is.

What? Okay here’s what I’m talking about…

Small pleasure number 1.

Finding a shopping trolley that hasn’t been locked so that you don’t have to put your pound coin in.

What an irrational pleasure that is! I really can’t understand why not having to put a pound coin into the slot on the trolley handle in order to release it for use should be so uplifting. It’s not even a money saving thing - I get the pound back after shopping so it costs me nothing at all. It shouldn’t make me feel so good - but it does. Each time I find one it feels as if I’ve ‘won’, almost as if I’ve got one over on ‘them’ – whoever ‘they’ are.

It’s not even that I won’t take it back to the trolley park and anti-socially leave it in the car park cluttering things up so that some old lady can drive over it. I will! I always take my trolley back and secure it firmly to the next trolley – even when I haven’t had to part with my pound and don’t need to get it back. I do this so that the next person can’t get the delight of finding a poundless trolley.

Yes, I know that’s a bit mean, but it is all part of the pleasure… I got away with it – but you’re not going to, you are going to have to use your pound - HA Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

A FREE shopping trolley pleasurable? Am I the only one?

Insane, petty, pathetic - how sad am I? I have my own sympathy.

Can’t wait until the next time I go shopping though… you never know.

2 comments:

  1. I like it when my wife puts the pound in the trolley, but I take the trolley back and manage to pocket the pound. I blow it all on sherbet dip and Tizer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've tried that one... it gets ugly though, and sometimes we end up wrestling on the tarmac surrounded by clapping and cheering shoppers. I don't mind that, but I never win.

    ReplyDelete