Friday 27 February 2009

Controlling the weather...


k
k
k
k
k
ka
a
a
a
k
w
w
This is my grandfather Frederick William Height – Billy – a quiet man, a strong man. I remember watching him fearlessly place a huge shire horse’s leg between his own, hammering a still red hot iron shoe onto the beast's massive hoof. I was six and he was a hero.
What he made with a straight iron bar, a fire, an anvil, and a hammer was impossible – but he did it anyway. He made the alter gates for the tiny church in the Lincolnshire village where he lived – not many people knew about it – he was a quiet man. He drank a scotch most evenings, liked football, ate apple with his cheese - and that’s about all I know about him. Like I said, he was a quiet man. He was a master blacksmith, as was his father and his father before him. My father is a trained agricultural engineer – which is another name for a blacksmith really.

Sometimes I dream that I’m a blacksmith – followed my ancestor’s lead. I make wrought iron and copper weather vanes, lightening rods, gates, candle stands – all manner of objects – but it is the vanes and rods that are my speciality. In my dreams every one is unique and glows with an almost-life. They are mystical and magical, some are encrusted with coloured glass gems and others steel folded seashells - copper leaves, iron birds, silver kisses - all welded to the twisted, burnished steel stems that are my work and passion.

North, south, east, west – bent and straight and true - they are all beautiful.

In my dreams the weather vanes tame the winds and the lightening rods control the storm. They stand upright and waiting in my red-glowed forge, giving me purpose and hope – a direction to my life – and the people travel from all over to see them - bankers, fishermen, gypsies, farmers, violinists. Sometimes I sell, other times I give away – it depends on who my work chooses, and their need. They are marvellous and a marvel – they are my magic – my life is a carnival.

My family are blacksmiths.

And I’m not - except in dreams.

4 comments:

  1. that was a beautiful piece. My forebears were farmers, thatchers, labourers and shoe & boot makers. My only link is that I love gardening and shoes!
    BMD

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should so be a blackmith dad, family trade and all that! OhMyGoshhh how much does he look like grandad? xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. As he is your grandfather then you are my second cousin once removed. W J Height is my father's cousin. Dad has just died and I found a poor black and white copy of this picture in his papers. I would really appreciate a good copy of the picture. William Hite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, typo, F J W Height. His father, William, of Halton, was my grandfather Percy's elder brother.

      Delete