Sunday 14 December 2014

Advent callendar 14 - I wine a lot...

Christmas without wine would be far worse than Christmas without snow. I can live without snow, but without wine? No, I don’t think so. I drink red and my chosen one drinks white. So, there’s none of this sharing a bottle nonsense and once a bottle is open… Well, let’s just say it would be rude not to.

I’m no connoisseur, I can tell the difference between a Merlot and a Cabernet, but I’m not fussy. I drink for the fun of it rather than to taste, swill, spit and then go on and on about chocolate, loganberries, beech smoke, with just a hint of sun dried peasant sock.

We stock up a little at this time of year with a few bottles of plonk, some fizz and one or two bottles of the pretty good stuff for the day itself. We keep it down in the cellar in the wine rack that used to be three times the size until we realised that two thirds of the holes would always be empty.

Mind you, I do like having a cellar, even though most of the time the wine has all been drunk. I love saying (rather pompously) ‘I’ll just pop down to the cellar to get another bottle of the Nuef de Pape de Compte de Plonk. It’s a 57 you know, so full of variety’.

Oh well, it makes me happy and so does the wine and I do tend to wine a lot.

7 comments:

  1. Clare Pritchard in FB
    are you sure you don't want a lodger?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew Height
      There's barely enough for me Clare

      Delete
  2. Ricardo Listeretti on FB
    Pompous is the perfect adjective.....often accused of it myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ricardo Listeretti
      Usually followed by a noun of the 'git' variety

      Delete
    2. Andrew Height
      Pomposity is my middle name old chap. Andrew Kevine Pomposity Octavian De Salle Jones-Height

      Delete
    3. Ricardo Listeretti
      We'll make do with the Chateau de shitto again this year Andrew

      Delete
    4. Andrew Height
      I used to know the Cambridge Shittos. Vey nice People donchaknow.

      Delete