Thursday 24 July 2014

Lesson for today…

You see these things all the time, inspirational sayings, bon mots for the social media generation. Usually I ignore their throwaway chirpiness, not really believing either the sentiment or the silliness of most of them.

I like this one though. It was posted a couple of times on Facebook this morning: “It’s a good day to have a good day.”

It made me stop for a moment and think. I thought: ‘Yes, I can buy that. In fact I’d go even further and say that every day is a good day to have a good day.’

Well, given the fact that a lot of the time, particularly over the last few years, bad days, often of my own making, have been there in self-created abundance. So, I was a little surprised to find myself smiling and thinking that even the bad days are a good day to have a good day. The wet days, the cold days, the I've just had some bad news days, the I'm broke days, in pain days, tired days, bored days, my partner has split days, even my cat has just died days, should all be good days to have a good day.

It's hard I know, but it’s worth trying because ultimately none of us know how many days we have left or when our last day will be.

So, we might as well try to enjoy them all. After all, even the bad ones must have some good in them..

Here endeth the lesson for today.

8 comments:

  1. Sarah Rawden on FB
    and it was 'a good day' :o) xXx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kingsley Roberts on FB
    Yes - sometimes that's all that matters

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrew Height
    Mindfulness is all about living in the now, not in the past and not in a future we can't see. I find it hard to do but it really is worth trying. Have a good day.

    Andrew Height http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac_87o0UWUg
    Play Video
    Emiliana Torrini - Today Has Been Okay
    Emiliana Torrini - Today Has Been Okay (slideshow featuring art from

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tim Preston on FB
    Mindfulness is a balancing act like riding a bike. But if you do fall off you can always think. "Hmm I see what I did there" and have another go

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tim Preston on FB
    so fuckin chuffed you're doing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew Height
      Well, the best I can Tim. A version I learnt through my hypnotherapy training.

      Delete
  6. Ian Maclachlan on FB
    It seems to me the mind is often somewhere the body is not. Thinking about work while at home, thinking about home while at work for example. Getting both to sync is the trick. As you say 'living in the now' and really appreciating the good things as they happen.

    ReplyDelete