Friday 4 July 2014

A small moment in time…

You can go through life thinking that you’ve seen just about everything and then something tiny occurs that makes you realise that there is so much more to see. New things happen all the time and they don’t have to be big things either.

I’d never heard of the hummingbird hawk moth until a couple of months ago when I saw an article in one of the online papers which reported that this year was a particularly good year for them. The report mentioned that many people were mistaking them for humming birds, which we don’t get in the UK, but of course the moth is much smaller, about two inches across. The newspaper photograph of the moth caught my attention for an instant and then I moved on never expecting to see one of these lovely hovering creatures.

Then yesterday evening, as I sat in my backyard drinking elderflower fizz, I noticed a hummingbird darting around my flowers. A hummingbird moth had appeared from nowhere and for a minute or two sucked nectar from the pink flower I don’t know the name of but which grows everywhere in Wales. I reached for my phone and fiddled with it trying to get the camera to work.

Too late, the moth had moved on.

Thinking that it might reappear for a second sip at my flowers, I fetched my camera and twenty minutes later my patience was rewarded. It only stayed for a minute or so, just time enough manage to get this.

Snap. A small moment in time. I’m really hoping it comes back again.

13 comments:

  1. Liz Shore on FB
    As much as I am scared of Lepidoptera, I would still like to see one of these. We have those pink flowers all over our garden - I shall keep a look out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew Height
      It's incredible when you see one hovering Liz Shore. My old heart gave a little leap.

      Delete
  2. Neil Barrett on FB
    Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alison Kirkham Eaton on FB
    Much better than my pic
    Alison Kirkham Eaton's photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew Height
      Alison Kirkham Eaton I think we are both privileged to even see one. I got really lucky with this shot, my Lumix FZ38 was already on flower and it blurred the background for itself... I never did get the hang of that in a hurry. Glynne could help. After all I bought it because I saw his pics

      Delete
  4. Tim Preston on FB
    cor blimey they're brill

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sandra Bouguerch on FB
    i remember that saying..Mark's comment of seldom found in a man and never in a woman..is forever imprinted upon my memory.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sandra Bouguerch on fB
    nice photo x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kingsley Roberts on FB
    Great pic - wish I had something like that to photograph

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lindsey Messenger on FB
    great photo....well done xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew Height
      oh yes, and i helped the contrast along in Photoshop.

      Delete
  9. Mel Mackuin on FB
    Well done - a real joy when you capture something like this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Andrew Height
    Kingsley Roberts, what I know about photography is a small piss compared to you. Sometimes I get lucky, but I don't know what I am doing. Maybe that's the key? Thought any more about making and selling your stuff? I seriously think that you should, and now is the time in your life to do it.

    Kingsley Roberts
    Thanks Andy - yes it is something that I should really give some consideration towards - I really do need to sit down and start going through my photos, I've amassed thousands!!
    And the funny thing is I've still got a book you gave me in the early 80's called 'Making Your Photos Sell'!!

    Andrew Height
    Then do it, you will be great and even happier. Remember it's not just about the photo - it's about product. People buy product, they want it for their walls, they want it to help make a statement about who they are. Images on wood, images on wood... make a couple and get to a craft fair.

    Kingsley Roberts
    Ok - I'll investigate further

    Andrew Height
    You must, you are too good not to... and what's to lose?

    Kingsley Roberts
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete