Monday 5 August 2013

A pair of poached pears...

I've been meaning to get around to poaching a pear or two for years. Yes, I do mean years, but somehow I've never quite got around to it. Perhaps it's the 'waste' of red wine or the faffing about with the peeler, but somehow my poached pears have always eluded me; even when I've bought pears especially to do it.

Yesterday my mum-in-law gave me two lovely pairs. Well, when I say gave I mean that she was persuaded. She had six pears and six pears is far too much of a good thing for anyone. I suppose you could say that I poached them from her. But then again I doubt that you are that corny - unlike myself.

She didn't put up much of a fight and, after a few threats and a little intimidating cracking of knuckles, I managed to get her to part with a couple.

I was glad to get away. That knuckle cracking of hers was getting a little too scary.

Once home I decided that tonight would be the night that I poached my pears. Peeling them carefully with my best peeler, I sliced their lush bottom flat so that I could stand them in the pan. I left the stalks on the pears so that I could lift them, made a mix of Merlot and a couple of ounces of sugar and poured it into a saucepan to warm with a cinnamon stick. I almost cried as I glugged my wine into the pan. Then I carefully placed the pears in the mix and brought it to the boil.

It bubbled and bubbled, the delicious smell of cinnamon and pear filling the room. I tried to catch a sniff of the alcohol as it floated away, but all I managed to do was burn my nose on the steam.

For the next fifteen minutes I simmered the syrup, carefully spooning the beautiful red liquid over my pears from time to time. I tested that they were cooked through with a cocktail stick, removed them from the heat and left them to cool for twenty minutes. I then popped them in the fridge so that they could absorb even more of the rich ruby syrup.

I can tell you that they were worth waiting for. Slightly warmed in the microwave and served with the syrup and a little vanilla ice cream they were totally delicious.

Next time I might poach three pears from my mum-in-law and poach one for her. Well, I'm a big-hearted kind of chap. It's just how I am, I really can't help myself.

5 comments:

  1. Maggie Patzuk on FB
    Love pears . . . they look delicious. Also happy they are called "pears" in the UK and the US!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paul Whitehouse on FB
    Saw something like that at the vet's ..... !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andy B D Bickerdike on FB
    i wondered where i had left mine soaking..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mick Norman on FB
    I like a nice pear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew Height
      Thanks Mick. I was counting on you.

      Delete