Saturday 10 August 2013

Butterflies...

The garden continues to meander in its own random way. So much so that I’m no longer sure what I planted and what has sown itself. It doesn’t matter; I love the way my plants this year have to fight for a little space - candytuft fighting for the same light as the foxgloves and my huge hollyhock plant.

It’s been a haven for butterflies too. I’ve seen more butterflies in the garden this year than ever before. Usually we might get one or two fluttering their way across the cobbles, but this year there have been dozens - tortoiseshells, red admirals, cabbage whites, even a meadow blue; and I’ve not seen one in the garden before.

Of course Luna also loves butterflies and has become very adept in catching them. She brings them indoors in her mouth and watches them as they flutter around on the hall floor; mainly cabbage whites but she’s had a red admiral or two. We’ve managed to save most of them, not all unfortunately but most, and all of the red admirals. At times she’s been bringing in half a dozen or more a day. I hate to think how many she’s caught outside. I found her eyeing a dragonfly by the pond the other day. She was very interested but couldn’t quite catch it.

Oh well, at least she hasn't caught any birds... yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment