Wednesday 11 May 2011

Those pebbles and the great god Araldite...

About those pebbles I slipped full into my pockets at Hells Mouth.

Those beautiful grey-blue speckled pebbles, pitted and smooth all at once, tiny pieces of mica or feldspar glittering on their surfaces. Matched and picked with an idea in mind, carried back home and placed in a careful pile.

I looked at them for a long time, practised arranging them for even longer. Balancing and placing before building them into one with Araldite - all hail the great god Araldite, the holy of all adhesives. Clear glass tea light holder carefully glued to the centre, removable lopsided lid allowing access for the flame. It feels so balanced in the hand this lid, good and solid - heavy too.

In part a freeform Japanese lantern, with a tip of the hat to a Neolithic burial tomb. My lantern, to set in my garden to glimmer throughout the night like the fires that were set high on the hill above the beach for a signal to ships on stormy nights - or to draw them in to a wrecking crew.

My own small piece of Hell’s Mouth - to light me on my way.

7 comments:

  1. David Bell commented on Facebook:
    "Impressed"

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a market for those! I always wanted to be araldite but never felt I had the vocabulary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eden Moon commented on facebook:
    i love this - it reminds me of Lanyon Quoit

    ReplyDelete
  4. David Bell on Facebook:
    Impressed
    You have hidden depths

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eden Moon on Facebook:

    i love this - it reminds me of Lanyon Quoit

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tricia Kitt on Facebook:
    make me something fab for my 20th anniversary - you, Gaynor & Holly will be joining us I trust?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Vicky Sutcliffe on Facebook:
    Love it!.. Put one on order please...with the painting commission I am still waiting for

    Andrew Height Well now I have more time...
    about a minute ago · Like

    ReplyDelete