Monday 9 May 2011

Pebble plans...

There’s nothing like a walk along Hell’s Mouth to blow all your doubt away – even if you have to dodge the sky darkening showers and even if the wind does whip the sand up into your face, scouring skin, stinging eyes.

There are more pebbles on Hell’s Mouth than on any other beach I have ever walked and their variation is infinite. Every rock on the planet seems to be represented and the colours – well, you couldn’t count them. I love the ambers and the reds, the ochres and the purple-greys, speckled, lined, mottled, dashed, but most of all I love the greens – from emerald to lime like mermaids eyes washed in upon a wave.

I watch the waves wash over them. Smoothed surfaces gleam, sparkling like the gems that some of them probably are and I decide.

This year I am going to do more with pebbles than build balance towers. Oh, I shall still build my towers, after all it’s relaxing until they tumble for the twentieth time, but this year I want to do more.

I don’t know what yet, I’ll have to wait and see but looking at all that promise on Hell’s Mouth it is worth careful consideration. Maybe pictures or sculptures, perhaps mobiles, could I make a pebble lantern?

I can feel a project coming on.

First things first though - time to fill my pockets.

3 comments:

  1. Vicky Sutcliffe commented on Facebook: "one of my favourite wild places on earth!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kevin Parrott commented on Facebook:
    Hell's Mouth, or Porth Neigwl (Nigel), at the end of the Llyn peninsula, a spectacular bay.
    Through the 1950s, our annual holiday was at Abersoch, with the odd trip to Porth Neigwl. My younger brother is Nigel. I can't say he was conceived there as he was already born, and a few months old when we first visited in 1953.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Andrew,
    David Bell commented on Facebook
    Googled the place and it looks great, pity it's a 6 hour drive away from down t'south

    ReplyDelete