Thursday 8 October 2009

A borrowed opening line with Der Spaziergang …

Success led us up a narrow road to a remote farm house and a dead end.

There were five in our tousled group, well met along the way, unknown to each other, but each known in our single purpose. Others converged around us; in pairs, threes, fives, even a group of twenty off in the smoking distance all making a way across the fields. Smiling in each other’s silences no need of words, hard-listening, sharp-seeing, light-feeling breathless in anticipation of success.

My invitation had come gradually. At first a quiet mumble in my head, floating in and around my day-to-day, unannounced, unaccepted, uncontrollable. Annoying at first, increasingly a comfort – the wind, bees, rumbling thunder, soft rain, wave crash, birdsong, call of the deepest whale, that owl.

And the colours. Almost too bright, so vivid that I thought that they might burn through my eyes and etch themselves into the very back of my brain. Until I realised that they already had.

And finally the drawing to. Magnetism my body could not resist nor wanted to. Skin, hair, blood, my thoughts, each and all pulled towards this place; all pull inwards to this place, pulled inwards and outwards and see… upwards - to the wedding.

I applaud. We all applaud, we applaud and smile and at each other look and watch and remember and hope, and…

The world and his wife take close each others hands and with their gesture save us.

We fly. It wasn’t a dead end at all.


3 comments:

  1. The inspiration for this piece was my friend BMD - I stole the first line from her blog (it is so wonderfully atmospheric) and it was she who reminded me how much I love the painting of Marc Chagall.

    This story was the result of that lucky chance.

    Thanks BMD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chagall is an inspiration to all painters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for being so inspired! I have never seen that painting before - I love it.

    ReplyDelete