Monday 5 October 2015

Backyard doldrums…

My yard managed to survive us being away in the Caribbean for two weeks, but since returning I really haven’t mustered the enthusiasm to do much with it at all. I have a bad case of the backyard doldrums and the yard’s been allowed to do as it pleases and it pleases to turn into a tangle, plants and runners tumbling and running where they shouldn’t run and tumble. Of course it’s always like this for me at this time of year. The end of the season marks the end of my fanatical meticulousness and I just allow it all to go native.

In some ways that’s good and there are still a few flowers to be seen. But the warm weather has brought about a lushness of leaf that needs to be managed ready for the winter. There’s nothing worse than waking up to an untidy yard over the winter months and the pruning shears will have to take their murderous toll before the bad weather really sets in.

Unfortunately those backyard doldrums are with me and I fuzzily float becalmed hardly bearing to look out of the window and see it in its current state. A good trim, a weed and a sweep is all it really needs. I just need to persuade myself to get on and do it. I know I’ll feel better once it’s done.

Time to get out of the doldrums and get my sorry arse into gear.

No comments:

Post a Comment