Tuesday 20 October 2015

Anarchy in the backyard...


She carries on her way as if winter will never come, growing and letting the life burst out of her. I suppose I should take the shears and trim her back, but I don’t have the heart. After all she’s kept her part of the bargain all year long and now, in her last verdant flush, she deserves to be allowed to do what she wants. A little anarchy before the winter and the bareness it brings arrive to dull her passion..

I am constantly surprised with what still grows. I’d forgotten I had planted red sunflowers, and the regular sunflowers and dahlias continue to bloom. The foxgloves have taken on a lot of leaf , the Chinese chrysanthemums have trebled in size and the nasturtiums – the ones that I was sure I’d weeded out - have miraculously appeared to add small splashes of yellow and orange and large round leaves to the jumble that she has become.

I like her when she is managed, tidy and clean lined, but I have to admit to a sneaking admiration for what she has achieved left to her own devices. No, I won’t take the shears to her just yet. I’ll leave her a few more weeks of freedom to do as she pleases; after all, what harm can it do?

2 comments:

  1. Andrew Height I love what comes up when you search Google for this image.

    https://www.google.co.uk/search...

    Google
    GOOGLE.CO.UK


    ReplyDelete
  2. Sharon Taylor
    haven't seen your back yard for ages, was wondering what was happening and as it shows a lot is still going on x

    Andrew Height
    normally I would clear it. but I want (for once) to see what happens if I do nothing. She's doing pretty well on her own and their are some gems hidden in there. Yours okay?

    Sharon Taylor
    I am trying to get the greenhouse ready, all but 2 panels and the door are bubble wrapped, the shed has also been brought into use with old aquariums housing cacti and a few lemon trees and various tender cuttings being housed as well. The problem seems to be that the more I try to make space to overwinter the tender plants the more plants seem to appear!!! Like you I don't want to get rid of things, so old petunias still flowering have been moved from the hanging basket and popped into a spare bit of garden soil rather than the compost heap, they are doing fine and so it goes on. I suspect this is all because I now have the time to do it, but must crack on so that the bananas and cannas can come in from the cold soon :O)

    Andrew Height
    Wow you are so the gardener. I was given an octagonal greenhouse in Wales by a mate. It is in about 500 pieces, but it's 3K of greenhouse. I have set myself the task of erecting it and a sensible sized summerhouse next year.

    Sharon Taylor
    Trust me you will love your greenhouse, I live in mine most of the year, with my solar radio, garden chair (space permitting) wine etc I now have a large torch to help but am thinking of upgrading to some sort of lantern.... I LOVE IT

    Andrew Height
    Stop, stop , stop (not). It all sounds too perfect smile emoticon

    Sharon Taylor
    nothing is perfect, but my greenhouse come pretty damn close for me!

    Andrew Height
    life is good after the Met then?

    Sharon Taylor
    don't miss it a bit - apart from the money!!!!

    ReplyDelete