Saturday 9 August 2014

August back yard...

This too-ing and fro-ing from Wales has meant that my back yard had had its head and each time I return I find it just a little bit jungley than it was before. Well, the season has been warm and the rain adequate, in fact it has been one of the lushest growing seasons that I remember. Of course the downside to this is that I have powdery mildew on my sweet peas and the enclosing higher growth is well out of control.

So here it sits teetering on the edge of wild abandon. The paths need weeding, the borders trimming, not to mention the pruning and cutting back that's required to let the whole thing, tiny though it may be, breathe again. I'm going to leave it though.

I think that given the plants have managed themselves to this degree of verdant lushness that they deserve a break. There are plants in here that I never planted, plants that I don't even know the name of, this bit of the planet is as self cultivating as any piece of hidden rain forest. This time when I return who knows where the self-seeded nasturtiums will have crept to, how big the mystery hollyhock will have grown?

Best let them get on with it.

1 comment: