Sunday 11 November 2012

The boy with a fish...


I almost missed it this morning, caught up as I was in my own thoughts and shopping for some ingredients to make flat breads. For a moment I thought that I had missed it, but checking my watch (which isn’t entirely reliable) against my phone, I realised that I had two minutes to go. I wasn’t keen on spending my two minutes, their two minutes, in a supermarket clinging onto a shopping trolley; so instead, I left my trolley empty and went outside to sit on the bench that was just around the corner.

The supermarket somehow seemed so disrespectful. But sat on my bench alone, cold and clear with light blue skies, a perfect eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month, it seemed okay.

I have no idea why I remember. Perhaps it was the poetry I was forced to read at school – the Sassoon and Owen, the Rupert Brook… “and is there honey still for tea?” Or maybe it’s the two boys I knew at school who went off to become soldiers; one never to return. It could be Frank. It might even be those endless portrayals of the First World War on all those period dramas we all love to watch. Maybe, it’s just the building of the war memorials – in every village and every town across the land.

I seek them out sometimes, always surprised, occasionally amazed by the variety of their form; the boy with the fish in my old home town, the foreshortened Unknown Soldier on the harbour in Pwllheli.

It always seems to be about the First World War for me. The rest (I’m sorry to say) doesn’t really come in to it. The Second World War is close, but it seems far too jolly with all the beer and air raids and fighter pilots – of course I know that it wasn’t, but it’s those black and white films you see; David Niven and Dickie Attenborough, Mrs. Miniver, even ‘Allo ‘Allo. Oh, I know it's wrong, don't worry.

And all these new conflicts - we don't call them wars any more - brave... without doubt, heroes... many. But they are almost there through choice, particularly these days all these years in. They must know what they are getting into... they still give their lives though.

Yes, it's all those far too young men of The Great War - pulled from fields and schools with promises, fear, patriotism, then shoved into trenches and made to charge... that’s what I think of when I remember.

As I said - I don’t know why I remember, but whatever the reason, I’m glad that I do.

3 comments:

  1. Lindsey Messenger on FB
    lovely picture.Had an amazing turn out for Remembrance Service today....always find it so emotional....can picture dad marching very proudly with the councillors. Wearing his well polished medals. and mum marching with her junior Red Cross children. They would have been so proud .....like i was....to see our precious little Autumn laying a wreath for the junior saint Johns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew Height I always found the memorial gardens such a tranquil place. I used to go there to sit when things were getting me down.

      Delete
  2. b.kapral

    I always stop and think in the 2 mins silence - of my Dad and Uncles serving in far flung places, of the horrors they witnessed and how they came back and carried on 'normal lives'. I suppose if it wasn't for the war my dad wouldn't have met my polish Mum and I wouldn't be here. One thing my Mum always said - The Russians were worse than the Germans during occupation, we still don't know the full horrors, and as you say the First WW must have held terrors and experiences we could never want to imagine. Always a sad, but reflective day. I always love to see the memorials when I go to a new place. There is a wonderful one in Katowice, Poland, where Mum was born, will have to sort out the photo to show you.

    ReplyDelete