Wednesday 7 November 2012

Float...

Firework night has been and gone, the silence outside the night before last almost deafening - not a whiz or a bang, a crackle or a boom. Strange I’d almost got used to living with the soundtrack to a war film - and then all went quiet like a ceasefire.

Quiet - my turn now.

Going outside, in the not-quite-damp, we lit our sparklers, making shapes in the dark evening air. It was fun. Just a few cheap fireworks, enough to celebrate something I’d almost forgotten. Funny how those bits of wire, bending with the heat of the phosphorous, can bring a smile to your face.

We used to light Lucifer matches, one after another and straight from the box; different coloured flashes of light, hand-held till they burnt the end of our fingers. Rockets in pop bottles, penny bangers in bottles too (dangerous but spectacularly noisy), Catherine wheels, volcanoes, thrup'enny Roman candles .

Not this year though.

This year it was lanterns; four for three pounds, holding the thin paper carcase high in the air, lighting the burner and waiting for the hot air to fill the paper balloon. Wait and wait, a slight rise, then the gradual float up into the sky and away. I couldn’t take my eyes off it. Our own totally silent paper star floating high above as we three watched until it was gone, out of sight.

Up, up and away, all with our own thoughts and hopes floating in our heads.

6 comments:

  1. Alan Shorrock on FB
    I'm not sure either... www.fwi.co.uk/Articles/03/07/2012/133709/Farmer39s-photo-shows-Chinese-lantern-dangers.htm

    Farmer's photo shows Chinese lantern dangers - 7/3/2012 - Farmers Weekly
    www.fwi.co.uk
    Chinese lanterns continue to cause death and injury to countryside animals, as this picture of a dead barn owl shows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew Height Yes, the same is true of any sky-bound fireworks. It happens, but then they fly into truck headlights too and smash into electricity pylons. Life is full of danger and chance, it's what makes it bearable.

      Delete
  2. b. kapral
    Aw - that's what I miss - nights of magic and wonder with my daughter and the sparklers. Never seen a lantern close up I will have to buy some - i could do with some dreams to dream and hopes to hope. Good to read your blog, night night. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, don't we all. As you've noticed before my posts have an element of loss - so we three stand dreaming our own dreams as we watch the lantern pass. Perhaps that's the way it should be for one stepping out into the world, but there are other things to consider. Mind you, I don't think I mind I (quite like) the solitary, it makes me feel like a tiny island standing against a storm that is really just a breeze.

      Chasing dreams... how lovely and how hard it is.

      Dreams to dream and hopes to hope - get down the shop and buy some biscuits, what a fine way to live - dreams and custard creams, a roaring fire and a cup of tea.

      Good to hear from you, and night night too.

      Delete
  3. Emma Cholmondeley on FB

    Hi, hope you're ok :) Went to a bonfire on Monday night....while I was watching the fireworks it got me thinking about our parties back then.......(adapted from one I read to my pupils in class!)

    I remember in early November
    We went looking for things that would burn
    I remember the woods fallen branches
    Got dragged home by each taking a turn
    I remember piling them high
    Each finger displaying a splinter
    I remember my fingers being frozen
    Well we were in the middle of winter
    I remember the guy that we made
    Old boots, coats and the odd plank of wood
    I remember the midst of our garden
    Piled up high and as safe as we could
    I remember the parties we hosted
    Oh how silly and excited I'd be,
    I remember one year when it rained
    100 guests we squashed into 63!
    I remember the smell of hot potatoes
    Baking away in the smouldering ashes
    I remember most all of us cheering
    As fireworks lit the sky with their flashes
    Oh that joyful first week in November
    I remember, I remember, I remember
    But that excitement didnt die it would linger and linger
    For Christmas was coming soon in December!!

    ;-) Hope it made you smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did Emma. If I knew how to heart I would. Thanks so much. xx

      Delete