Monday 29 August 2011

More foraging...

We drove down to the end of the peninsula at the weekend. We do that sometimes, just to take a look at the isolation and ruggedness of it all. The view from Rhiw above Hell’s Mouth was as spectacular as always and the drive down as steep as ever.

They’ve built a new road to replace the one that got washed away in the rainstorms a few (five, six?) years ago and it has changed my map of everything. The one that’s in my head not drawn down on any paper - the real map, the one where I’ve logged all the things worth looking out for.

Even so, I still managed to find the hazel grove and for once I managed to get there before the squirrels. Within about an hour of happy foraging I’d managed to collect one and a half pounds of the lush green nuts, carefully bending the branches down to get to the ones at the top.

They’ll ripen indoors and in a few weeks will be delicious. I wonder if I can save them for Christmas?

4 comments:

  1. "Getting there before the squirrels" Will that be the title of your autobiography, ak, or have I just gone even more nuts? M.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You always catch so spectacular moments

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vicky Sutcliffe commented on Facebook:
    "Yummy"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Catherine Halls-Jukes commented Facebook:
    Catherine wrote "wow....have a tree full in the garden, that I am hoping I will get to harvest before the squirrels do...I read that they are not quiet ready until september so was hanging on until then..."

    ReplyDelete