Wednesday 31 August 2011

Summer memories - the Minack theatre...

It's been a stormy August. The skies at the weekend reminding me of another August full of storms.

I’m off again - memory surfing as another summer passes without me realising another small ambition of mine.

It isn't much. I just want to see an open air production of A Mid-Summers Night’s Dream on a clear, balmy summer’s evening as I sip ice cold champagne and watch the clear blue Atlantic lapping the rocks far below.

That’s where she got the sand you know, the beach below – yes the sand to make the concrete that they used to build their open air amphitheatre high above the Cornish coast - Mad Rowena Cade and her gardener, Billy Rawlings – the builders of the Minack Theatre.

I’ve been there only once. Oh, it must be fourteen or fifteen years ago. A day trip out from my parent’s flat in Exmouth, Holly tucked safely into her car seat as we explored the most western parts of the British Isles. A long day but a fantastic one – all so tired when we arrived back at the second floor flat by Holy Trinity Church, almost midnight, Holly sound asleep as the church clock struck twelve.

We came across The Minack almost by chance and stopped to take a look and get a cup of tea. They’d stopped serving, well it was after three, but it didn’t matter as we happily wandered around this bit of the Roman Empire that never was.

Magnificent! Such a feat of determination and love.

We stood under the late afternoon sky and watched as a storm came in from the west, holding hands as the wind picked up. I only had film for the one picture, yes film, and by then the gift shop had closed.

‘We’re coming back.’ I said to Gaynor as we drove away. ‘We’re coming back to take more pictures and watch an open air production of A Mid-Summers Night’s Dream on a clear, balmy summer’s evening and sip ice cold champagne as we watch the clear blue Atlantic lap the rocks below.’

Of course we could do it any time - as long as the play’s performing (although any would do really), and the weather fine – but of course we never have. Small ambitions are like that. You have to wait for them to grow big.

Maybe next year it'll become a burning desire and then maybe I'll do it.

7 comments:

  1. It looks fantastic. I will go. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liz Shore commented on Facebook:
    "It's such a magical place, we went a couple of years ago just to look around but one day we will return..."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Richard Shore commented on Facebook:
    I'd love to see a play there as well. I was thinking of going while we were down there this year, but I don't think the kids would have got Shakespear.
    It's my ambition to be eccentric

    ReplyDelete
  4. Della Jayne Roberts commented on Facebook:
    I keep seeing beautiful/amazing places (landscapes, villages, towns, cities, buildings, scenery ....)in the UK - almost every day. But only on the TV. Such is the joy of satelite pay TV. I can be home at the press of a button on the remote. :O)
    I'll never be able to visit many of them - funny how you leave somewhere and only then realise what you're missing. x♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks incredible. Great evocative colours in the image. Another good reason to get to Cornwall. Paula and I keep threatening to go. Always threats.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just go while it is still there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi,

    I found your image of the Minack theatre through a google search and wondered whether I could use the image for a birthday present for my friend who recently performed a new musical 'Pencoweth' there. The image has a theatrical nature, looking all stormy, that it's the best one I've found of the theatre! Please let me know as soon as you can.
    Many thanks,
    Claire

    ReplyDelete