Tuesday 9 August 2011

A sniff of autumn and summer jam…

Don't worry, it's just jam and everyone loves a tryer, isn’t that what they say?

As I left the house this morning (suitably suited and as prepared as I could be) I think that I caught the first sniff of autumn in the air despite it still being summer.

Opening the front door, the unmistakeable freshness of an autumn morning enveloped me with its crisp, clear headiness. ‘But it’s only August.’ I thought. Well, the seasons do seem to be changing. Spring was early, the daffodils in bloom in February and we picked our first blackberries last weekend, immediately turning them into jam with the last of the strawberries. Does that make it a summer or autumn fruits jam? I have no idea, but it tastes good and that what counts.

Maybe autumn isn’t a season at all - maybe it’s a state of mind or a country or just a feeling that slips in to settle on us when we are least expecting it, like a chill, or disappointment, or getting older.

I don’t know if it’s autumn or not, but if it is then I’m not ready for it just yet. I’m a tryer you see, and there are times that it still feels like summer and there is always jam to be made and hearts to be painted on vodka clear glass. And that’s what counts.

Summer in my jam and still some summer in my heart. Yes, that’s what counts.

5 comments:

  1. Della Jayne Roberts commented on Facebook:
    "Sometimes it feels as though it's spring - and then the sun disappears (for a while) and it's gets cold and freezes again overnight ... but it is just around the corner. Daffodils and tulips are on sale - "Easter, I said to Kingsley." "Not here it isn't" he said smiling. :O) But to me it means spring isn't far away (and to me it should be Easter)."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Caron Rebours commented on Facebook:
    Food for thought ..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vicky Sutcliffe commented on Facebook:
    Need to get my own jam making on the go

    ReplyDelete
  4. Life is such a sweet sticky mess

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like Autumn, getting us ready for putting on the layers!

    ReplyDelete