Sunday 19 June 2011

Smile please…

Here they are my sixties dad and mum, all dressed up in their promenading gear. Blazer, tie, and well shined shoes, with mum in headscarf to keep away the breeze, and high heel shoes. She’s carrying the raffia beach basket that probably held our swimming gear and some sandwiches, cheese and cucumber or luncheon meat (Mick's meat named after my uncle Michael who loved it so much).

Everyone swam in the sea back then. The beaches packed with dads in rolled up flannels and vests. Mothers huddled in cardigans, trying to stop the sand from flying into the sandwiches, keeping the jug of tea safe from the tennis ball cricketers. Many an hour I’ve spent on the beach in a force eight gale without a ray of sun, blue with cold and shivering inside a wet towel.

I’m not sure where this. It could be Skegness, but more likely Morecambe. We went there for our summer holiday sometimes. Morcambe and a bunk-bed bedded room at Mrs Cheetham’s guest house - out all day and in by eight, a shilling in the meter for the electric.

That’s my sister Caroline, stripy blazered and pudding basin bobbed, casually observing the world from her collapsible plastic pushchair. My younger sister Della, wasn’t born yet, but may still be in this picture. I’m not quite sure.

So where am I? Again I’m not sure, but wherever I am it’s a pretty safe bet that I’m short-trousered, white sandaled, pullovered, shirt and tied and short-back-and-sided.

We’d walk along the prom trying to avoid the seaside photographers who pounced from nowhere, dropping sharp-toothed grinning monkeys tethered to too long leads, upon your neck. Rabid monkeys maybe, fleas at least. They terrified my with their manic chattering, and the photographers, all smiles and Brylcreem, would chase after you barracking: ‘It’s only two-and-six. You can pick up your picture from the booth tomorrow’. I don’t think we ever took them up on their offer.

I wonder where I am? Maybe I’m taking that picture.

‘Smile please.’

7 comments:

  1. Kevin Parrott commented on Facebook:

    Before we discovered Abersoch in 1953, it was Pwllheli Butlins in 1950, Gurteen Co Sligo with Mum & Nan in 1951, Llandudno in 1952. However, the weather was so bad at Llandudno, I remember that we transferred to Blackpool for the second week. We'd borrowed Uncle Bert's Morris 8.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These days our holidays would appear on Holidays from Hell Kevin. Back then we were just happy to be by the sea and doing something different - at least I was.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice picture, nice post. I remember when I was younger going to Morecambe for the weekend for my birthday. Everything that could go wrong went wrong that weekend. I always seem to have bad holiday karma. I've on holiday in a couple of weeks, so expect bad weather in Wales.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think there might be a photo somewhere of the monkey - I think Gina was in one old photo .... I don't remember much (photos are good memories - they recall exactly where you were and what you were doing) Not like memories that recall what we think we remember - and I have a really poor recollection of most events etc.
    Missing home today - new house and no family to share it with :O) xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Della Jayne Roberts commented on Facebook.
    Della wrote "I might be there - do you remember when I had a blazer - I threw it in with the penguins - or was that Caroline? :O) x"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Camilla Strawbridge commented on Facebook:

    Loving the blogs, and Mum looks awesome - perhaps I should get her a blazer like that for her birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tricia Kitt commented on Facebook:
    ah, how standards have slipped - today it'd be shaven heads (but not chins), tattoos, wifebeater vests with paunches straining and hideous shorts with a bum-crack on display - and that's just the women!

    ReplyDelete