Thursday 24 December 2015

That time of year again...

How long does it take for something to become a tradition? Is it a tradition if you do it twice of does it take five, ten, even twenty times?

Well, it’s that time of year again and our little traditions continue. The decorations were up before the 12th (Gaynor’s birthday), we’ve boozed up the mincemeat for the pies and have taken the 20th photograph in the photo booth. Holly and I have been doing this since she was two as a present for Gaynor and it’s become a tradition.

The booth is more of a squeeze than it once was and my hair gets greyer each year (hence the hats) but I really look forward to it. It’s a father and daughter thing I guess. Holly does all of the organisation for me these days, the hats, the instructions, pressing the button, so different from that day twenty years ago when we took the first one and she could sit on my knee. I don’t think my knees would take it now even though Holly is very slim.

To be honest though we haven’t changed that much; I’ve got older and uglier, Holly stays beautiful and the tradition continues. It's framed, wrapped and under the tree and will be, as always, the last gift to be opened Christmas morning.

Can't wait. Merry Christmas to you all.

8 comments:

  1. What a great idea. Hope you all have a wonderful Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I expect there will come a time soon when holly hasn't the time or distance is too far. U hope not, but I'm a realist. It will make me very sad though.

      Delete
  2. Carmel Payne on FB
    Happy Christmas Andrew Height, Gaynor & Holly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cloe Fyne on FB
    Love these. Wish I'd started it with my two. Then it really would be a tradition. Happy Christmas dad. Love you xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew Height
      Not too late. Start on the 27th get them all dressed up with you and get yourself to a booth. It makes a marvelous and interesting record.

      Delete

  4. Iain Marshall on FB
    Great blog Andi. All the best sir and hope Santa is good to you...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew Height
      All I need is a book, a bottle of port, and a nap Iain. Have a fantastic Christmas.

      Delete

  5. Kingsley Roberts on FB
    Maybe some new ones starting

    Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete