We went to the garden centre today to buy a few violas and while I was there I saw a driftwood wall planter that I liked. But the price of almost thirty quid rather put me off, so instead of buying it I decided to make one.
Three fifty-pence a throw (literally) clay flower pots, some dry brushing with the paint for my bench, and a bit of driftwood that I found on a beach in Wales later, I had this. I used a masonry drill to make a hole in the top of the pots after painting and then used some thin galvanised wire to dangle them. The hearts I found in a kitchen drawer.
It's planted with some of the violas - three quid for twenty-four. So with the violas and pots the whole thing cost me about £2.50 and I had the fun and satisfaction of making it.
I nailed and wired it to the long wall at the side of the house to brighten it up a little. If it does well then I'll see what I can do with the rest of the wall because, although I was worried about the daffodils I planted, they have really done well.