Monday 9 March 2015

Broken pot garden...

I’ve been waiting for a while for one of my big pots to break so that I could make a miniature cracked terracotta pot garden. Some people call them ‘fairy gardens’, not me though there isn’t a fairy in sight in mine.

Of course I could have cracked the pot myself, but somehow to break a perfectly good pot seemed like vandalism and I just couldn’t bring myself to do it. So I was pleased when I found the wind had blown over one of my pots in Wales. Even more pleased that it had cracked in just the right way, opening up an opportunity for me to play and have some fun.

A visit to our local Welsh garden centre to buy some Alpines seemed to be in order. So eight quid later I was back at the cottage with five nice little plants and a bag of medium fine golden gravel. Alpines, I was informed by Google, need a mix of fifty percent garden soil and fifty percent gravel as they must have good drainage and standing water will rot their roots. This probably explains why I haven’t had much success with succulent Alpines in the past, although It’s obvious really as they grow on rocky mountains in the wild.

Of course, what with all the Welsh rain, it wasn’t until I was home that I had the chance to make my garden. I was really looking forward to it, but it was raining in Manchester too. Not to be put off, I covered the kitchen table in a couple of plastic sacks, got a bucket to mix the soil and grit, and off I went.

It was as much fun as I knew it would be, reminding me of the moss gardens I used to make as a child on a kitchen tray with a mirror for a pond. I soon became completely absorbed in placing the pot shards in just the right way, backfilling with the soil and gravel mix, and planting my tiny Alpines so that they looked as natural as possible. It took a couple of hours, but the time flew and I was quite pleased with the finished thing.

I topped my creation off with, not a fairy, but a little elf Holly bought for me on a school trip years ago who had never really found a fitting home.

I think, at long last, he has now.



2 comments:

  1. Clare Pritchard
    That's really nice x

    Andrew Height
    Thanks Clare. I'm really pleased with it.

    Lorna Gleadell
    Garry is impressed

    Val Wynne
    Heart

    Val Wynne
    How cute

    Andrew Height
    Easy to make Lorna.

    Andrew Height
    Better than throwing it away Val.

    Rebecca Jane Brookes
    This is just brilliant andy.

    Sarah Farmer
    U r are just multi talented young Andrew. That is really beautiful x

    Andrew Height
    Thanks Sarah. This time of year gives me the gardening bug.

    Jayne Butterworth
    There is no end to ur talents andrew. Ur a very clever man. Me and paul miss u. X

    Kathryn Salthouse
    That's fab!

    Clare Pritchard
    Just a bit of track, but when is the glass business starting up again in new premises hun?

    Andrew Height
    Every home should have one Rebecca. I'm thinking of doing an indoor version

    Andrew Height

    Andrew Height
    I still don't have a date Clare.

    Cloe Fyne
    Love that x

    Andrew Height
    Find yourself a broken pot and have a go Cloe. Milo would love it.

    Cloe Fyne
    You must be joking! I can't do anything with a normal pot, let alone a broken one!

    Lindsey Messenger
    Wow.... Love it

    Andrew Height
    I bet you could make one Lindsey.

    Lindsey Messenger
    Might well give it ago

    Dawn Marshall
    Cool

    Carmel Payne
    That's great Andy!!

    Tim Preston
    wonderful

    Sharon Taylor
    yey, I knew it! Looks really good Andrew Height, my pot is still in tact and I am like you don't want to be a vandal :O)

    Andrew Height
    I think it was Sharon Taylor that brought this idea to my attention. Thanks Sharon!

    Sharon Taylor
    you have executed it perfectly.

    Andrew Height
    Some garden centres give away broken pots Sharon.

    Sharon Taylor
    I have asked at everyone I have been to, but no joy as yet, all in good time. When I have left work might be an appropriate time!

    Sharon Taylor
    I have been offered voluntary exit, so roll on August and a new stage in life.

    Andrew Height
    Hooray! Pleased for you.

    Maree Roberts
    very nice

    Sharon Taylor
    thank you, it is scary after over 30 years, but in a good way. Just have to find a part-time job for 2/3 days a week, but no rush thankfully as I will get a small pension. OMG I will be a pensioner at 52!!!!!!!!!! I hope I can get the discounts ;O)

    Andrew Height
    Pensioner at 52 - sounds like me a bit.

    Sharon Taylor
    and do you get OAP discount?

    Andrew Height Nope.
    That won't kick in until I get state pension at 66.

    Ricardo Listeretti
    Tremendous work Andrew. C'est Magnifique!

    Rebecca Jane Brookes
    That would be brill, my dining room is being themed with outdoorsy things. Might be an idea

    Vicky Brickhill
    Wish I was that clever. My attempts at anything arty look like a 2 year old did it!

    Sandra Bouguerch
    Great idea x

    Catherine Halls-Jukes
    I am with Vicky...brilliant x

    Andrew Height
    Nothing more satisfying than any sort of gardening Ricardo.

    Andrew Height
    Cacti and airplants Rebecca.

    Andrew Height
    Try Vicky, you can do it.

    Andy Lloyd
    Very clever Mr H. Your creativity knows no bounds.

    Andrew Height
    Not my idea Andy (check Pinterest) but pleased with the execution. I will definitely make more.

    Mel Mackuin
    Very very good and maybe even excellent

    Mel Mackuin
    OK excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And 56 people liked on Facebook.

    ReplyDelete