Tuesday 26 November 2013

An afternoon in the Korova Milkbar...

Today has been busy, busy, busy, with hardly a moment to spare. Between glass and words and unexpected last minute drops I've hardly had a second. Certainly no moments to consider what to write in my blog today. Strangely, busy or not though, I found myself thinking about my days in Oxford. Not the university you understand - although I did do a year at Oxford Brookes - but the city itself. Town as we called it.

Going to town was always an adventure. You only went to town if you had something planned, even if it was just buying a new pair of stack heeled shoes, and that made it memorable. I have lots memories of going to town - the bus from the Town Hall, the museums and galleries, the botanical gardens, the river, the market, concerts and cakes. Oxford was all hustle and bustle, bikes and beauties, fights and fictions... and The Odeon Cinema.

From here, in my mind, it was just a step and a jump to A Clockwork Orange. The only film I've ever watched more than once at the cinema, three times, three afternoons, Monday, Tuesday and Friday, and each time I wagged school. Actually I wagged the whole week to make it look convincing and forged a letter from my mum saying that I was ill with the flue - UP YOURS STOSH! I was such a rebel.

I spent the afternoon humming 'I'm Singing in the Rain' and wishing I still had my old false eyelash.

Yes, there was me, that is Andy, and my three droogs, that is Dave, Ju-Ju and Sacha, and we sat in the Korova Milkbar trying to make up our rassoodocks what to do with the evening. The Korova Milkbar sold milk-plus, milk plus velocet or synthemesc or drencrom, which is what we were drinking. This would sharpen you up and make you ready for a bit of the old ultra-violence...

At least it did in my imagination. UP YOURS STOSH!

Make mine a milk plus drencrom droog.

4 comments:

  1. David Bell on FB
    Viiddy well little brother

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andy Brewer on FB
    queue, Beethoven's 9th

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew Height
      Greetings droog, I kopat your comment.

      Delete