Wednesday 13 November 2013

Ted...

There are nights that I still miss my old Teddy Bear and I haven't seen him for over 45 years. I expect he was cheap, maybe somebody had owned him before me. But he was my only friend for a while when I was very young. Yes, I don’t know where he came from, but for years he really was my best friend. On dark, cold, nights I’d lay upstairs listening to the television and the shouting below, hanging on tight and clutching the softness of his cotton stuffing in my hands.

Ted (I had no other name for him) was always around when I needed him - which was often and more than I could say for some.

But then one day he was gone. I’ve never been completely sure just where he went. But there’s a good chance he got caught up in one of the pogroms that sometimes happened on Saturday mornings to satisfy my father’s need for control. The doors and windows would be flung open even on the coldest of days, draws and cupboards gone through, emptied, and all unnecessary and useless things (at least to him) thrown into the ash-covered metal dustbin or piled into a heap in the large back garden to be burnt that afternoon.

Sometimes it was just the sideboard; other times a complete room, and a couple of times a year (usually spring and just before Christmas) it was the turn of the whole house to be ‘cleansed’. Top to bottom he went, removing anything that offended his easy to offend eye. He never asked; never once cared that his ‘worthless’ might have been another’s ‘treasure’.

“It has to be done. I can’t stand all this clutter!” He’d shout - and all for no other reason than he could and it made him (if nobody else) feel better.

My bedroom seemed to be ‘turned over’ more often than the rest of the house. Eventually I gave up asking where my fossil collection had gone or why my paintings, carefully taped to my cupboard so as not to mark the wallpaper, had been removed. Instead I simply gave up. Books, toys, marbles, my mallard’s egg, all vanished over the years after one or another of his manic ‘cleans’.

Well, “it had to be done” didn’t it?

These days I don’t allow myself to hang on to things. Ultimately everything goes one way or another eventually. Of course I keep them close for a while. But when they go I just shrug my shoulders, move on, and tell myself that they were nothing; just rubbish really, unnecessary, a clutter, no loss.

Sometimes though, late at night when I’m worried or tired, I still wish I had my Ted to cling to.

21 comments:

  1. In recent years I've got some of my lost things back.
    My blue mottled Swan fountain pen, my plastic 1953 sailing yacht, the wooden red train given when I left hospital when I was three, and the Pathéscope hand cranked movie projector I had for Christmas when I was nine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clare Pritchard on FB
    got a tear in my eye there beautiful writing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vicky Sutcliffe on FB
    I have my own Ted to cling to! X

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fraser Stewart on FB
    Still got mine. I don't like Aaron touching it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Catherine Halls-Jukes on FB
    a child's first toy is very special. .both stu and I have our teddies, and despite the fact that Nae "messy"is already ready for the recycling he is her best friend, and not for us to remove.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Laura Keegan on FB
    Oh that is sad I'd like to poke 'im in the eye. My task for you this week andrew is to go & buy a lovely 'ted' and keep him forever. In spite of what the grumpy old git had drummed into you

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fraser Stewart on FB
    Buy a Steiff teddy bear. It adds value and it is something you can pass on. I have a Steiff teddy called Amadeus. He's beautiful…look don't touch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kevin Parrott on FB
    In recent years I've got some of my lost things back.
    My blue mottled Swan fountain pen, my plastic 1953 sailing yacht, the wooden red train given when I left hospital when I was three, and the Pathéscope hand cranked movie projector I had for Christmas when I was nine.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Andrew Height
    I'm thinking of borrowing one. My daughter has dozens including a Steiff - not that one though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Clare Pritchard on FB
    He's luvverly x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Clare Pritchard I've still got mine here!!!
    12 November at 23:03 · Like

    Clare Pritchard Shall see you at work tomorrow, i'm knackered!!!
    12 November at 23:04 · Like

    Mel Mackuin Hmmm I've still got mine but he is currently in storage in Leeds. Feel quite sad now.
    12 November at 23:30 via mobile · Like · 1

    Bernadette Doyle I still have mine but he's in storage - hope he's ok and not too grumpy when he gets out.
    12 November at 23:32 via mobile · Like · 1

    Kevin Burke I still got mine.. 48 years old...
    12 November at 23:34 via mobile · Unlike · 1

    Clare Pritchard Mines 43 and been loved flat
    12 November at 23:35 · Unlike · 1

    Kevin Burke My one true life long love.. Threadbare... but still got pride of place on my bedside table
    12 November at 23:36 via mobile · Unlike · 2

    Bernadette Doyle Ok mine's 50 and missing his squeak. He was bought for me by my trainee midwife Fifi.
    12 November at 23:36 via mobile · Unlike · 2

    Mel Mackuin I've just realised both our teddies are together in Leeds. They can keep each other company. Amazing also we both made similar comments independently of each other within 2 minutes! Mines 52
    12 November at 23:38 via mobile · Unlike · 2

    Kevin Parrott Micky will be 64 this Christmas and he's still with me.
    Kevin Parrott's photo.
    Yesterday at 01:34 · Unlike · 2

    Phil Ogden Don't worry...he's on TV with the hare!
    23 hours ago · Unlike · 1

    Andrew Height Actually Phil Ogden - you have just hit on something there.
    22 hours ago · Like

    Paul Whitehouse Did he run away when you tried to have bottom sex with him?
    13 hours ago via mobile · Like · 1

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fraser Stewart Us men are pathetic! Very few women keep their teddies. Maybe we're better fun though!
    43 minutes ago · Like

    Laura Keegan Hey! I've got mine but I'm more fun than anyone
    40 minutes ago via mobile · Like

    Fraser Stewart Maybe we should all meet up to compare teddies and see who does the best song & dance?
    38 minutes ago · Like · 1

    Laura Keegan Here's mine haha
    Laura Keegan's photo.
    33 minutes ago via mobile · Unlike · 1

    Andrew Height My wife has hers and the knitted clothes she use to dress him in. jealous.
    5 minutes ago · Edited · Like

    Laura Keegan Haha mines destroyed he had various new outfits sewed on by my mum. You need a new ted for christmas if you borrow Holly's you have to return it one day
    2 minutes ago via mobile · Like

    Andrew Height I'll ask her which I might borrow until then.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Andrew Height
    And another thing? Where's the WW1 brass shell cap made by a soldier in the trenches that I was supposedly given when I became 18?

    ReplyDelete
  14. John Wonnacott on FB
    Hopefully in a box in the loft with all your other childhood mementoes, hopefully! Either that or they've been flogged to an antiques dealer by your mother, like all my uncles ww2 medals that I used to have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew Height
      No... I think your second answer will turn out to be the truth. It'll be him that sold it though.

      Delete
  15. Andrew Height
    My wife has hers and the knitted clothes she use to dress him in. jealous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura Keegan on FB
      Haha mines destroyed he had various new outfits sewed on by my mum. You need a new ted for christmas if you borrow Holly's you have to return it one day

      Delete
    2. Andrew Height
      I'll ask her which I might borrow until then.

      Delete
  16. Kerry Swift on HB
    My husbands father stuck his on the fire when he got "too old for it". I still have mine, hes also a hot water bottle and is so chewed and matted now but still lives with me

    ReplyDelete
  17. Laura Keegan on FB
    Whats with these horrible old men! My dads favourite toys often got thrown out too. Seeing pics of him with his favourite truck which was later thrown out by a heartless bastard boils my p. its clearly a control issue. Would they take anyone elses stuff and throw it away? I doubt it. Wish my grandfather was alive now so i could stand on his specs and throw his ciggies in the fire haha

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks like everyone loves Teddy Bears.

    ReplyDelete