Wednesday 10 July 2013

Big yellow courgette…

Courgettes, I grow them every year and every year, at some point, they succumb to the mildew. Not this year though, well not yet. I have a few strong and healthy plants grown from seed planted on edge in small pots of compost. I’m pleased that they’ve made it. I love them as plants and not just for the vegetables. I love the luxurious leaves, dark green and shade making, and the glorious yellow flowers.

I can’t wait to slice and batter my first courgette, or fry it in a little salted butter, or boil some slices for a couple of minutes and pepper them, or grill them on the barbecue, or stuff them with rice and lamb and spices, or…

Yes, courgettes are so versatile; you can even eat the flowers. But not this one, this one I’ll keep for gazing at for as long as it’s in bloom.

5 comments:

  1. Kate Fox on FB
    courgettes are zucchini in the US for those who don't know what a courgette is..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sandra Bouguerch on FB
    It's ace x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vicky Sutcliffe
    Especially stuffed with fresh pea, mint and ricotta.... Deep fried ...yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ian Maclachlan on FB
    A beauty!

    ReplyDelete