Friday 17 May 2013

Hi-Di-Hi!...

Hi-de-hi-de-hi, ho-de-ho-de-ho, go go go do the holiday rock.

It was with real sadness that I heard yesterday that Ted Bovis had died. Well, not Ted Bovis exactly but Paul Shane who played Ted in that classic TV sitcom that was Hi-Di-Hi! It must be yet another sign that I am getting old because I look back on the show with real warmth and affection.

Maplin’s holiday camp was such a shambolic, ideas above its station, kind of place. A place for working folk to go to experience a few of the good things in life; ballroom dancing lessons and a competition to see who could stuff the most cooked spaghetti into their trousers. It sounds ridiculous I know, but it wasn’t so very far from the truth; there was a Maplin’s holiday camp every few miles of coastline when I was growing up.

“Morning campers!”

As a child we went to Corton Caravans just up the road from Lowestoft. Corton Caravans had all the usual holiday camp paraphernalia: ‘morning camper’ tannoys, swimming galas, ballroom dancing, knobbly knees competitions, donkey derbies, fancy dress competitions, beauty pageants, bonny baby competitions and of course Topsy-Turve night. A fun family evening where women dressed as men and men dressed as women.

The place was run by the camp compeer who went by the name of Uncle Ron. There is no doubt that Uncle Ronny was of a very theatrical persuasion. I think it likely that he put the camp into camping and he enjoyed nothing better than slipping into a slinky satin dress and donning a huge beehive wig with full panto-dame make-up. He was one of those men that were all smiles on the outside but the minute he was off-camera (so to speak) immediately fell into a deep and desperate gloom; the sort of man who must have hated national service but had enjoyed the comeraderie.

Once, much to my ten-year old boy discomfort, I was left alone in his office with him for twenty minutes or so. He just sat watching as I arranged some flowers, a job my father had volunteered me for some reason best known to his own conscience. Uncle Ron sat watching me, smoking a Benson and sipping from a glass which contained some deep amber liquid. He asked me if I liked art and told me that I was doing a good job arranging the flowers with my nice hands. I was actually just shoving the flowers into something resembling a bouquet as quickly as possible so that I could get away.

The room was windowless, a tiny office behind the stage. Uncle Ron looked bedraggled, the thick make-up from last night’s drag performance not completely wiped away. For all the world he looked like a broken ventriloquist’s dummy as he sat there smoking cigarette after cigarette, shaking as he rambled on about nothing in particular. I’m not exaggerating when I tell you I was ready to run at any moment. There was something too friendly, yet at the same time completely cold, about Ronny. In retrospect I don’t think he was the type of person that should have been entertaining children on rainy afternoons.

I watched a few minutes of Hi-di-hi on YouTube this morning. The story was great, the acting comically superb, and it was complexly layered in a way I hadn’t noticed before - snobbery, rivalry, pathos and slightly surreal - a blending into of a picture of hearty normality; a veneer just managing to cover the tatty reality hiding beneath the surface.

Hi-Di-Hi campers and Ho-Di-Ho Paul!

No comments:

Post a Comment