Tuesday 18 September 2012

'O' no, not again...


Here we go again, all change - out with GCSE’s in with EBaccs. Why can’t they simply leave exams alone and why replace them with something that sounds like it should come from a heavily forested moon a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away?

They’ve been saying that GCSE’s have been getting easier year on year for ages. Too many passes, too many high grades, too many happy and proud children and parents.

Well, we can’t have that can we… it’d never do would it? I know, let’s go back to the future and instead of students working towards a qualification in a logical and systematic way, having to complete each step of a journey towards qualification, let’s bung it all down to a three hour examination at the end of a very long and complicated two year course.

Let's put the whole thing in the hands of memory and rote and not recognise any need for a deeper understanding. After all, we're all good drivers after we've passed the test so surely maths and English are just the same.

That should sort the wheat from the chaff, the men from the boys, the clever from the dull. Yes, lets go back thirty years to the days of the ‘O’ level and the CSE, let's go back to the good old days where you could waste almost two years not learning a thing and then cram it all in the month before the final exam and still pass.

Yes, I was at school in the days of the ‘O’ level, and back then you could do just that. I knew boys who did almost nothing during the two years leading up to the exam and then ‘crammed’ the month before. Many (at least those whose parents could afford it) even hired a cramming coach who groomed them ready for the exams a few weeks before they sat it. I even knew boys that found ways to cheat in the exams. None of them were ever caught and not a one of us ever ‘split’ – it simply wasn’t done. And of course there were always the ‘O’ level aid books – books that gave you the essential bits of Chaucer or ‘Tess’ required for the exam so that you had no need to actually read the book.

For some exams were easy – they breezed them, hardly breaking into a sweat as they sat on a hard wooden chair for hours on end turning over exam sheet after exam sheet. Others went to pieces. One very bright boy was so scared of exams he flunked the lot; there was another who always fainted whenever he entered the exam room. ‘O’ level time was shit and most of us were scared shitless. It was two weeks of hell, with your whole life resting on a couple of hours and the turn of an exam paper booklet.

I loved history, always got good marks, was top of the class three years running and even won the lower school history prize. I thought I knew my stuff and so did everyone else; but on the day of the three hour exam something went wrong – I lost my nerve or forgot everything I’d once known… and I failed. I’m not talking a low grade here, I’m talking a fail, an ‘F’. All the great work I’d done in the two years preceding that day counted for nothing. I might as well never have studied history, never have written all those essays, never won the lower school history prize. I was a failure… an ‘F’.

I passed other ‘O’ levels, not brilliantly but okay, but I never re-sat my history ‘O’ level. I didn’t have the heart. I was an ‘F’.

I ignored history for years after that, pretending it hadn’t happened. I gave up on something that for years I’d found fascinating and which brought me real pleasure simply because for a few short hours in the school hall I panicked and lost my way.

14 comments:


  1. Andrew Height
    Bloody government - so frigging stupid going back to a single exam. Here come segregated schools and a two-tier system again.


    Richard Shore
    I heard an interview with some minister or other who said the problem with the current system is that teachers teach to the exam. I couldnt help wondering if that isnt the point. What does he want teachers to do, teach dance in Maths?

    Andrew Height
    November 5th and a barrel of gunpowder - how about it number 2?

    Richard Shore
    I have a plan to hijack a plane and fly it up Cameron's arse.

    Andrew Height
    I'll co-pilot

    Phillip Yeadon
    I'll be the trolly dolly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike King on Facebook:
    Judy Woodward and Dave Blackburn suggest you read this. My friend and former work colleague Andrew Height explains why going back to single exams is a big mistake (better than I ever could). (and he's old like you Judy - so that should add some weight to his argument ;p !!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keven Parrott on FB
    I passed my eleven plus and went to Grammar School.
    However, I obtained only one 'O' Level which was art.
    If the standards had been lower at the time, perhaps I would have been awarded more. I wouldn't have deserved them.
    But........ I have yet to meet a single former pupil who attended Hyde Grammar School at that time, high academic achiever or not, whom to this day does not feel to their very bones, that their Grammar School education and the discipline had set them up on the right road for the rest of their lives, no matter what their future career turned out to be.
    Bring e'm back!
    http://youtu.be/vcQb6AJOK7A

    Hyde Grammar School Sports Day 1946
    www.youtube.com
    Hyde Grammar School Sports Day 1946 filmed by George Wain. Look out for Mr Collis, Fred Whyatt, (returned as a master) Geoff Barnes, (later Dr Barnes, return...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris Raby on FB
    So that's education being compromised following the destruction of the nhs. Social services next and then withdraw from Europe. Thatcher rapidly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. becoming left of centre


      Phillip Yeadon on FB
      Yes Chris .. it'll be Turkeys voting for Christmas next!!
      11 hours ago via mobile · Like

      Delete

  5. Paul Eddison on FB
    Jake will be the last year to do GCSEs and then Eve will do EBaccs, my parents did the old O/A levels. Politicians changing things so they can say - 'Look! We did something' - In 10 years they will figure out it was a load of crap and change it all again... Lots of votes and money in change

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mike King on FB
    For once Andy I agree 100% with you. I've been having this conversation with some friends this evening funnily enough. I was the first year to do GCSEs and I can remember the monumental cockup they were but they were an improvement on what had gone before. In out professional lives we are drilled on continuing personal development and the continual assesment felt like this. I really do feel its another backward step by this backwards thinking goverment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just to finish up on this from my perspective. A couple of years back my daughter, after working really hard to pass her 11plus and an entrance exam, got 10 A's at GCSE. Until she went to AGGG I had thought that GCSE's were easy to pass (unlike my beloved old 'O' Levels. Not once over her GCSE course could I much help her with her homework - it was too hard and require real thought. Most of the time I didn't even understand the question. The depth and understanding she has in these subjects is far more than I ever managed from my 'O' levels... maybe because I was working to a final exam rather than being continually assessed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tricia Kitt on FB
    there is something to be said for the EBacc; having said that I had to get beta-blockers for my (2nd) driving test (couldn't stop my feet shaking on the first!) and could certainly have done with them for my O levels, A levels and final BSC exams - some of us are just not good under exam pressure - which is weirdly different from work pressure (is that like doing coursework?) - I don't hold with the constant retakes of elements (that's just lazy in my book) but I do have tons of empathy with exam-phobes (I taught a v bright boy last year who would have walked his Science with an easy A but panicked and didn't even go in); I know I would have done better with continual assessment, but life isn't that easy is it?.....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Michael Oesol Snow on FB
    I did O Levels. Perhaps folk won't look blank at me any more, but might know what they are. Damn hard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Double damn hard and I don't think I really knew a thing apart the answers.

      Delete