Sunday 21 November 2010

Knowing my onions…

Okay, I know that I go on about the bargains I buy from Wilkinsons’s but this weekend I had another – a packet of fifty mixed onion sets for two pence, that’s a ninety-nine percent reduction. Yes, two pence! I bought two packets. Fourpence for one hundred onions, now that’s a bargain.

I’ve never really had much luck with onions and I think that I may have discovered why. I’ve been planting then too late, waiting for the spring to plunge them into the soil when really I should have been treating them like a daffodil and planting them in the autumn. All I had to do was read the packet, but of course I didn’t and now that I think about it that makes sense, after all they are a bulb really.

I’ve planted them in the same soil and pots that I used for my outdoor tomatoes now that they are completely over. I’m not sure how successful I’m going to be but to be honest if I only get twenty onions out of it I’ll be hugely in profit and very happy. As I’ve said before there’s nothing quite like home grown anything, even if home grown crops don’t always look as good as supermarket bought.

I’m going give it a go anyway, there’s nothing to lose. I may not know my onions very well – reds, whites, Spanish, shallots, or how to grow them, but it’s worth a try. I’ll let you know how I get on.

3 comments:

  1. wow what a bargain - not surprised you couldn't resist. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way the top photo was taken by Holly, my camera, but her shot. Good isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've planted red onions this year.

    ReplyDelete